What's new
What's new

Whats the difference between a Dynasty and a syncowave?

Inverter vs transformer
New tech vs Old tech
Light and portable vs heavy and stationary
Low amperage input, high output vs high in/high out
Electronic vs some boards, giant copper windings

They are both good- I run one of each.
For flexibility, light weight, and general whizz bang, I like the inverter.

Some people worry about reliability- but my inverter has never had a hiccup, while my ole syncrowave blew a $500 circuit board once, and needed a new power switch as well- but I did buy it in about 88.

The inverter will do everything well- mine does stick, tig, and mig. Not sure if the Dynasty will do mig- mine is a DC only 304XMT, so it wont do aluminum like a Dynasty will- but it does the sweetest mig, lift arc and scratch start tig, and stick to beat the band, and the Dynasty does more, bettah.

Me, I would buy the Dynasty.
But I am a modern sort of guy.

[ 07-30-2007, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Ries ]

I have a Syncrowave, bought new in 93, and a couple of inverters about 5 years old. If I was buying today I would buy inverter. I've been looking at the Dynasty 350, but that is a lot of scratch.

Dynasty will not do Mig. Stick and Tig only.

It comes down to how much money do you want to spend and how much you value portability. Also the inverters make a nicer weld. Especially for beginners.

I have a Dynasty 200 DX and I LOVE it!!!! I run Lantanated electrodes on all materials with no problem. All I have to do to go from SS to Al is change the settings and filler wire.

My local welding supply is having a 60 year anniversary party and the Miller raod show is going to be there. I hope I can try some welders out.

Are they going to have one of the OCC bikes there? You should check it out if they do...

What a POS!

We had one of the OCC Airgas bikes here and the build quality was less than optimal.

And just why do they call them choppers??? They sure didnt "chop" an existing bike.

Anyway...

I had a 150STL and a Dyn 200 up till a couple months ago. Never used the Maxstar so I got rid of it and then ran across a dead Thermal Arc 300GTSW that I resurrected. I was going to sell the TA but I couldnt bring myself to sell it to some unsuspecting person so I sold the Dyn instead.

The 300GTSW actually is easier to weld aluminum with than the Dyn 200. Too bad they blow up so often!

Back