What's new
What's new

Making a corner notcher

MwTech Inc

Titanium
Has anyone made a notcher? Realize of course I can buy one, but have two old kick presses, one is large, forget the size right now,it has the compound levers etc. Shouldn't be that hard to make the guides etc. But what would I use for the blades, type of material? Would like to do 16 ga stainless up to a 1 1/4" notch.
What are your thoughts? Thanks

You can use A2 tool steel, it will not need any special hardening. I worked in a stamping plant and we would repair the dies with A2 and put them right back in service. Stainless 16 ga would take quite of bit of tonnage to cut...Bob

Bob
Thanks for the link. I going to give up on the kick press and use a hydraulic one instead. Picked up a Danly die set. Does one attach the parts, in this case blades, directly to the die set? Where ,who can I find out info about die sets and how to use them? Andy

One more question on the notcher. Do the clearances stay the same for all types of metal? What are the clearances? [16ga stainless will be the most used metal in notcher]I know with the 10' shear at a local shop they always set the blades for the material being used. Thanks

Back