What's new
What's new

Which rods for this project?

blackdoggy

Aluminum
I am slowly building up my stock for a new heavy duty log splitter I was looking at all of the different welding rods and I just don't know what rods to order for this project. https://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?Next::1:UNDEF:OR:terms::PD Which one of these would you recommend? I am going to be welding 1/2 inch plate and 3/8 plate as well as some plug welds I am not a welder by any means I am just the welders assistant that knows how to prepare the raw steel and I am wanting to buy the rods for a friend of mine so he can weld this up for me.
Any and all information is greatly appreciated as well as any criticism:)

Since this is somewhat structural in nature I'd used 7018 low hydrogen rods.They're good all around rounds for this type of work and since you know metal prep you shouldn't have to much trouble using them.You're metal prep doesn't have to be perfect but the cleaner the better.Of course you probably already know this.

I will be sure to grind or wire brush it to a shine then wipe it with a surface prep such as muriadic acid. Thanks for the info ray :)

I would skip the grind/brush step and for sure skip the acid step. If the steel is reasonably clean you can run a 7018 bead right through the mill scale no problem. 7018 is the rod I generally use. Be aware that it must be kept dry, preferably in a rod oven.

GWE

Here is what I'd do.

Root it all with 6011. Then weld it up with 7018.

I have a log splitter that I actually broke off a 1" thick slab of base plate material extending about 16" from the column and 12" wide. Splitting some very difficult Mountain Hickory with twisted grain when it happened. I was thinking A36 when I fabbed the splitter up but now I don't think so. Point is, the weld on it held. I used the above procedure.:D I also welded that plate back together and then added another plate below that one. No more breaks and weldments continue to hold.

* note on log spitter: I recommend using heavy square tubing for your main column. I used a typical I beam and have regretted it ever since. Not strong enough against the twist. So heavy square 6" tubing with a heavy plate welded to it for your slider guide and you'll be good to go.

Blackdoggy, JL's got it...6010 or 6011 root with 7018 fill/cap passes if you're SMAW. He's right on about the twisting on "I" beams - either "S" or "W" shapes have little resistance to twist, but a 6" x 1/4" to 1/2" wall square tube will work great. Make sure you have enough grith on the wedge attachment as there is quite a bending moment on it when splitting. Steve

Back