Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default `old Eutectic stick electrode (SMAW)

I have come across some old Eutectic brand stick electrodes, and the "tag" on the rods is a two digit number. "67 AC" on one, and "10 AC-DC" on the other. google search doesn't yield any good info, and I tried inquiring with Eutectic Castolin, and got no reply.

does anyone have any old catalogs or other product info on these?

I wil post some pics in a bit, but the "67" is a nonmagnetic wire with a light blueish sparkly flux(rutile?)
    with the wording
    "EUTECTRODE 67 AC
    "for steels,corrosion,heat,impact 90-125 amps"
    "eutectic welding alloys corp., New York, U.S.A.

the "10" is magnetic, and looks and feels like its coated with graphite, kinda odd one, guess iv'e seen some Ci rod that looked a little like it, but didn't feel as slippery, if I recall.
    "EUTECTRODE 10 AC-DC,"
    "85-100 AMPS."

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Take a piece of Mild steel, lay down a short bead of each (keep them separated)
    and then clean the flux off, take to local scrapyard and have them shot
    with the X-ray identification gun.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

oh interesting digger, X-ray florescence analyzer. my local precious metals buyers have those too, and those might be more accurate.

yes, if it was a totally unmarked mystery metal, but with a large, well known manufacturer, and a clear number on 'em, you'd think we could come up with a bit of information more easily than that? someone can swivel their chair around and grab an old catalog..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm thinking that 670 may be the new designation? anyone have that old catalog?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got some light blue-green rods mixed in a bunch of junk, the filler had that yellowish tint to it like stainless. Used them burning together stainless exhaust stuff, never rusted.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well done 486! Just hoping Someone has that old catalog though..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While ferreting out what they are for historical purposes may be interesting, beyond that do these have any use? Is there just partial canister or truck load of sealed cans?

Tom

8. Likes SteveBausch, 72bwhite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Took a look… The 67 is likely the 670 you found, the 10 is a bit more dodgy it may now be 110 by the strength they claim. Stoody after all the mergers stopped crossing anything but straight up AWS specs reliably back when I was collecting things. WeldMold & Allstate were a bit more straight up when they thought they had a match. This was sometimes for purpose & sometime by chemistry.

WeldMold (then) was the best – (by far) at dealing with a customer that wanted to go deeper in the data & telling the truth about their own product. They think the 670 matches their 4112 (AWS EniCrMo-3 Inconel/Monel) electrode, and they think that 110 matches & acts like their 515. But they also think some other eutectic products with different numbers do also???

The 515 would be magnetic and the strength matches, it's much the same as Eureka 615… Any way I’ll attach some scans for you to sort out. I also attached a Eutectic repair bulletin for a pump & paper digester application (which is very severe service.

Good Luck,
    Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eutectic67rod.jpg   weldmold4112crod2.jpg   eutectic67rod_instructions.jpg   eutectic110rod.jpg   weldmold515.jpg  

10. Likes cyanidekid, digger doug, roysol liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

wow! thanks Matt, I had given up and stopped checking the thread. that is super. THAT'S what's great about this place!

I just ran some of these again a few days ago, and from what I can tell, we are getting close on the 67. yes, looks like that's it. I have about 45lbs of that, and it was kept dry, so somewhere between a partial canister and a truckload.

on the "10" it appears to be a cellulostic electrode with perhaps graphite in the coating, so kind of a three eyed fish there. only one can of that anyway. probably a cheapo cast iron rod.

thanks again!

P.S. I hate companies that play the "trade secret" bull, just tell us what the hell it is!
    A competitor can easily test and copy, so the only thing this accomplishes is to make the company in question look bad to the consumer, as far as I see it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

just noticed, they say the 515 is available up to 3/4", holy crap!

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cyanidekid View Post
    just noticed, they say the 515 is available up to 3/4", holy crap!
    Big Welding Electrode 3/4 in. Diameter X 39" long | eBay

Holy crap indeed! Also notice the seller name.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A farmer will take them off your hands.

15. Likes 72bwhite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About the "10" you have, I took another look by copyright & now I don’t think it’s a match for weldmold 515 as the description said “Eutectrode 10 ac-dc, for hard overlays on steel. Lt. Green tip © 19May58”. It could be a basket full of things...

Found the bounce with EUTECTRODE 10 AC-DC here → Catalog of Copyright Entries: Third series - Google Books

Still pretty sure that the 67 is 670 or 670E which is AWS: A5.11 / Class: EniCrMo-3 filler… The deposit would be high 90’s% alloy with only 1.5% iron and the crap ton majority is nickel (cashy shit right there).

The Cor-met guys are a spin off from weldmold when the kids took it over & basically screwed it all up (IMO). The 3/4” rod runs from 1200-2100amps & forms a 36 to 60 sq. in. puddle. I used to get some rods & put them in tig tubes (perfect fit) when I traveled to europe to give the forge & weld shops. I’d tell them they were especially popular in Texas & Michigan. Attaching a 3/4” & 1/2” rod leaning against my little kemppi.

I also scanned the whole updated cross I got in the 90’s, IIRC it seemed better than the crosses from stoody & allstate. Back then eutectic really didn’t like to cross ref from what you were using, they wanted to sent a rep or jobber & use up most of your day...

Good luck,
    Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails weldmold_settings.jpg   kemppi.jpg   weldmold_crossref_midshrink.jpg   weldmold_crossref2_midshrink.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveBausch View Post
    A farmer will take them off your hands.
    yeah farmers and hard facing burnt a few box for grandad as a youngster