What's new
What's new

`old Eutectic stick electrode (SMAW)

cyanidekid

Titanium
I have come across some old Eutectic brand stick electrodes, and the "tag" on the rods is a two digit number. "67 AC" on one, and "10 AC-DC" on the other. google search doesn't yield any good info, and I tried inquiring with Eutectic Castolin, and got no reply.

does anyone have any old catalogs or other product info on these?

I wil post some pics in a bit, but the "67" is a nonmagnetic wire with a light blueish sparkly flux(rutile?)
with the wording
"EUTECTRODE 67 AC
"for steels,corrosion,heat,impact 90-125 amps"
"eutectic welding alloys corp., New York, U.S.A.

the "10" is magnetic, and looks and feels like its coated with graphite, kinda odd one, guess iv'e seen some Ci rod that looked a little like it, but didn't feel as slippery, if I recall.
"EUTECTRODE 10 AC-DC,"
"85-100 AMPS."

Take a piece of Mild steel, lay down a short bead of each (keep them separated)
and then clean the flux off, take to local scrapyard and have them shot
with the X-ray identification gun.

oh interesting digger, X-ray florescence analyzer. my local precious metals buyers have those too, and those might be more accurate.

yes, if it was a totally unmarked mystery metal, but with a large, well known manufacturer, and a clear number on 'em, you'd think we could come up with a bit of information more easily than that? someone can swivel their chair around and grab an old catalog..

I got some light blue-green rods mixed in a bunch of junk, the filler had that yellowish tint to it like stainless. Used them burning together stainless exhaust stuff, never rusted.

While ferreting out what they are for historical purposes may be interesting, beyond that do these have any use? Is there just partial canister or truck load of sealed cans?

Tom

Took a look… The 67 is likely the 670 you found, the 10 is a bit more dodgy it may now be 110 by the strength they claim. Stoody after all the mergers stopped crossing anything but straight up AWS specs reliably back when I was collecting things. WeldMold & Allstate were a bit more straight up when they thought they had a match. This was sometimes for purpose & sometime by chemistry.

WeldMold (then) was the best – (by far) at dealing with a customer that wanted to go deeper in the data & telling the truth about their own product. They think the 670 matches their 4112 (AWS EniCrMo-3 Inconel/Monel) electrode, and they think that 110 matches & acts like their 515. But they also think some other eutectic products with different numbers do also???

The 515 would be magnetic and the strength matches, it's much the same as Eureka 615… Any way I’ll attach some scans for you to sort out. I also attached a Eutectic repair bulletin for a pump & paper digester application (which is very severe service.

Good Luck,
Matt

Attachments

• Eutectic67Rod.jpg
    Eutectic67Rod.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 207
  • WeldMold4112CRod2.jpg
    WeldMold4112CRod2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 229
  • Eutectic67Rod_Instructions.jpg
    Eutectic67Rod_Instructions.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 221
  • Eutectic110Rod.jpg
    Eutectic110Rod.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 170
  • WeldMold515.jpg
    WeldMold515.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 301
wow! thanks Matt, I had given up and stopped checking the thread. that is super. THAT'S what's great about this place!

I just ran some of these again a few days ago, and from what I can tell, we are getting close on the 67. yes, looks like that's it. I have about 45lbs of that, and it was kept dry, so somewhere between a partial canister and a truckload.

on the "10" it appears to be a cellulostic electrode with perhaps graphite in the coating, so kind of a three eyed fish there. only one can of that anyway. probably a cheapo cast iron rod.

thanks again!

P.S. I hate companies that play the "trade secret" bull, just tell us what the hell it is!
A competitor can easily test and copy, so the only thing this accomplishes is to make the company in question look bad to the consumer, as far as I see it.

About the "10" you have, I took another look by copyright & now I don’t think it’s a match for weldmold 515 as the description said “Eutectrode 10 ac-dc, for hard overlays on steel. Lt. Green tip © 19May58”. It could be a basket full of things...

Found the bounce with EUTECTRODE 10 AC-DC here → Catalog of Copyright Entries: Third series - Google Books

Still pretty sure that the 67 is 670 or 670E which is AWS: A5.11 / Class: EniCrMo-3 filler… The deposit would be high 90’s% alloy with only 1.5% iron and the crap ton majority is nickel (cashy shit right there).

The Cor-met guys are a spin off from weldmold when the kids took it over & basically screwed it all up (IMO). The 3/4” rod runs from 1200-2100amps & forms a 36 to 60 sq. in. puddle. I used to get some rods & put them in tig tubes (perfect fit) when I traveled to europe to give the forge & weld shops. I’d tell them they were especially popular in Texas & Michigan. Attaching a 3/4” & 1/2” rod leaning against my little kemppi.

I also scanned the whole updated cross I got in the 90’s, IIRC it seemed better than the crosses from stoody & allstate. Back then eutectic really didn’t like to cross ref from what you were using, they wanted to sent a rep or jobber & use up most of your day...

Good luck,
Matt

Attachments

• Kemppi.jpg
    Kemppi.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Weldmold_CrossRef_MidShrink.jpg
    Weldmold_CrossRef_MidShrink.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 193
  • Weldmold_CrossRef2_MidShrink.jpg
    Weldmold_CrossRef2_MidShrink.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 210