What's new
What's new

One portable welder-Two stingers?????

svs

Hot Rolled
A friend is looking at a feedlot pen construction job. Basically would involve slapping gates, hinges, structural pipe, etc. together. I may rent him a service truck/welder(225 Bobcat) to do the job and possibly a second welder.(Miller Big 40)

This brought to mind a question. Would the Miller Big 40 allow two guys to weld at the same time? 1/8" 6011 @ 100 amps is how I would run the job.

I am guessing this type of thing is done on big jobs, just curious how, and too cautious/lazy to hook up a second stinger and actually try it.

Scott

No, you cant run two stingers off one machine natively. You can control the current individually. They do make du-op machines that will run two stingers. There are also external current control boxes that will limit current to each stinger.

I went to do a service call on one site where they had two 600 or 1000 amp lincolns stacked on each other and then fed into a 8 bank duop setup which everyone ran off of.

OK, that makes sense.

If you magically found a pair of the external controls how would you set the dials? 100 amps on each external control and 200amps on the welder?

Scott

A friend is looking at a feedlot pen construction job. Basically would involve slapping gates, hinges, structural pipe, etc. together. I may rent him a service truck/welder(225 Bobcat) to do the job and possibly a second welder.(Miller Big 40)

This brought to mind a question. Would the Miller Big 40 allow two guys to weld at the same time? 1/8" 6011 @ 100 amps is how I would run the job.

I am guessing this type of thing is done on big jobs, just curious how, and too cautious/lazy to hook up a second stinger and actually try it.

Scott

Miller and lincoln make stinger banks. The biggest one I've seen ran 6 at a time. way past what you are asking, in the end unless you are doing long production / fixed jobs you may want to just use two welders.

The problems just start with the hot start. If one guy is welding the basic machine has no way to know that the voltage needs to be higher to start the second rod off. When a welder is at rest the voltage is higher then when you are welding, it helps get started and when it drops it also helps stabilize the arc.

good luck!

Thanks guys. Very clear now. I'll poke around and look for a stinger bank.

Don't know that the friend will actually get the job, or that I'll rent the junk to him, but sounds like it could keep two guys busy for 6 months, and I know which welder I would rather listen to for that long. Having two running nearby seems to quadruple the "get on your nerves" factor.

Scott

Back