What's new
What's new

ProStar welding helmet ?

Spend a few bucks more and get an Optrel Sattelite off ebay. They are about $250 there all the time.

I could not find a spec on the viewing area how big is it? My plan is to use it for the roll cage on my jeep the more I can see the better off I am. Most of it will need to be welded in the truck.

Viewing size is about normal. Mine is at work so I cant measure. Note that the viewing size on that link is a blatant lie. There are no electric hoods that have that big of a window.

There's NO WAY it's 4" tall!

That IS a BLATENT LIE! Then the math doesn't add up, those people HAVE to be RETARDED! WOW, that is bad, what a crock! It doesn't look like any biger than my HF welding helmet. Which has about 7 square inches of viewing area, and is available for $50!!! No Grits, you're right, that says 4"x5"=7"sq. WTF, how DUMB can they be? Maybe they mean 4cm by 5", but that gives almost 8 sqare inches. In fact, that looks a LOT like my cheapo harbor freight welding helmet. Not quite the same, but it sure doesn't look like a $180 helmet. I'd get one of the speedglass helmets when they go on sale @ production tool for about $200, or go HF cheapie. :cheers:

Best Helmet

Hello Everyone

I am not trying to steal the thread but what is the best high end helmet? I started with a Miller Pro Hobby and I had trouble with my bifocals. I bought the HTP top end that has the dials and it is head and shoulders better. Some says, I see everything great, others, I cannot seem to get everything right. It it lack of experience or old age or both?

Thanks,

Grits

I and a lot of other think Optrel Satellite. But everyone has their favorites.

The satellite doesnt have as big of a window as some but it has a real nice headgear with lots of adjustment. Also the shade setting is adjustable all the way down to 4 so it is good for low current tig and plasma cutting. All the controls are on the outside so you dont have to reach in the helmet to change settings. The outer lens is sealed with a strip to keep stuff out and can be removed and changed without taking out the cartridge. The outer sheild is curved so stuff tends to bounce off instead of sticking. You can also get it in a cool color shifting paint!

http://cgi.ebay.com/OPTREL-BLACK-BL...6110003QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com/OPTREL-SATELLIT...39:1|66:4|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thanks

Thanks Mac

I do appreciate you not commenting about my old age. I thinks a lot of it is practice. Adjusting the unit and also changing the distance from the work. Kind of like learning to wear progressive bifocals.

For you, what would be a typical shade setting for TIG welding mild steel at eighty amps?

Grits

Hello Everyone

I am not trying to steal the thread but what is the best high end helmet? I started with a Miller Pro Hobby and I had trouble with my bifocals. I bought the HTP top end that has the dials and it is head and shoulders better. Some says, I see everything great, others, I cannot seem to get everything right. It it lack of experience or old age or both?

Thanks,

Grits

On the high end, I've used the Hornell Speedglas 9000X for quite a few years now and still like it. Although not recomended for overhead it has got away with a little, the breathing vents leave a little more engery at day's end [thinking old folks, which I'm getting there]. The toughest thing on this aging is remembering what used to be seen and remembering what was going on in the weld pool.

No matter how fast any of the few helmets I've tried, being a bit sensitive to light by developing a quick blink which soon became automatic just before the arc starts has really helped on that mid/end of day eye tore-up strain feeling.

Speedglas link
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Health/Safety/Solutions/Two/

Back