What's new
What's new

Opinion on Lincoln Idealarc SP-200 Welder?

alskdjfhg

Diamond
Be nice to get a welder for the shop so don't have to listen to the engine drive machine all the time.

Found this older multi function Lincoln on craigslist. Comes with mig torches, flow meter, argon bottle and rack for $1000.

Anyone got any time with one of these? Decent old welder or POS?

Neighbors weld shop has one, newer that it has a digital volt meter.
The few times I had to drive it, was always short arc MIG .035 wire,
and the arc is harsh, could use a bit of inductance.

It’s been out of production for 20 years so for $1k it better be a show queen I think. At least see it weld before buying.

About the machine itself, it’s not really multi process IIRC the SP’s were migs (or MIG/MAG). It may have the spot, seam or stitch switch (optional). Pretty similar to the millermatic 35 or early MM200 machines which match up well with → 250amp NEMA class2 machines the way new machines seem to be rated these days.

Good luck
Matt

I bought one new in 1988 and it served me well until last fall when the magic smoke came out. As has been stated, no parts available for over 10 years according to Lincoln.

I expected the machine to last as long as this old man, but it wasn't to be. Replaced it with a new Lincoln 350MP, it spit sparks out the side louvers turning it on the second day. After being in a Lincoln repair center for two months, they finally sent another new one. Too many electronic who ha's in these new ones if you ask me. I don't expect this one to last near as long as the old work horse SP200.

Gus/ who has a 'parts machine' in the back room if you need it.

I bought one new in 1988 and it served me well until last fall when the magic smoke came out. As has been stated, no parts available for over 10 years according to Lincoln.

Replaced it with a new Lincoln 350MP, it spit sparks out the side louvers turning it on the second day. After being in a Lincoln repair center for two months, they finally sent another new one. Too many electronic who ha's in these new ones if you ask me. I don't expect this one to last near as long as the old work horse SP200.

Gus/ who has a 'parts machine' in the back room if you need it.

Bummer on the SP! The very cashy 350MP on the second day → you need some joy & swag from the distributor on that ‘chit…

I’ve got maybe 3000-3500hrs on my 2002 PM300 & still good so maybe the replacement will go well for you?

Good luck
Matt

Back