What's new
What's new

Opinions on "Fix it" of Cracked Aluminum Wheel

Curvecrazy

Plastic
I've got this cast aluminum wheel that cracked at the base of the spoke at the rim. I've done mass research on best way to repair and the more I read the more confused I get.

I see welding as an option. Tig or Mig. My concern is the HAZ zone and end strength and brittleness. Most seem to think this is the way to go but the wheels pretty thin aluminum off high performance motorcycle.

I see alumni Weld or HTS-2000 filler rods as an option. Idea being less heat required and less HAZ concerns.

Third option I see is a good epoxy applied by cleaning out the crack as narrow as possible ( minimal gap), removing AL oxide then applying a good epoxy. As such, I would probably want to apply epoxy on the outer surface of the crack "too" and was considering cleaning surfaces and applying epoxy then fiberglass weave reinforcement and then more epoxy to encapsulate that and extending say a half inch or more to either side the crack on the outside and an inch or more on the inside.

One welder actually told me he'd try epoxy! He was worried about the HAZ using TIG etc. Another says MIG with 4943 wire. He claimed a half inch HAZ at either side the welded area and claims to have done hundreds of AL wheel Weld repairs but never at a spoke?? Another welder said he'd TIG it but claimed a larger HAZ.

Welding and brazing would destroy the finish. Epoxy would not. Interested in anyone's input especially personal experiences and successes failures. All welders are dead against epoxy saying "THAT WON'T WORK". Of course, put in perspective, they would say that right? Not necessarily out of personal experience or bias but simply that many failed JB WELD repairs have been brought to them where the AL Oxide say was not properly removed before attempting the repair? Obviously..those repairs with JB Weld that succeeded the item never made it to the welder so they would have a failure bias would they not? IMG_0021.jpgIMG_0023.jpgIMG_0011.jpg

I've got this cast aluminum wheel that cracked at the base of the spoke at the rim. I've done mass research on best way to repair and the more I read the more confused I get.

I see welding as an option. Tig or Mig. My concern is the HAZ zone and end strength and brittleness. Most seem to think this is the way to go but the wheels pretty thin aluminum off high performance motorcycle.

I see alumni Weld or HTS-2000 filler rods as an option. Idea being less heat required and less HAZ concerns.

Third option I see is a good epoxy applied by cleaning out the crack as narrow as possible ( minimal gap), removing AL oxide then applying a good epoxy. As such, I would probably want to apply epoxy on the outer surface of the crack "too" and was considering cleaning surfaces and applying epoxy then fiberglass weave reinforcement and then more epoxy to encapsulate that and extending say a half inch or more to either side the crack on the outside and an inch or more on the inside.

One welder actually told me he'd try epoxy! He was worried about the HAZ using TIG etc. Another says MIG with 4943 wire. He claimed a half inch HAZ at either side the welded area and claims to have done hundreds of AL wheel Weld repairs but never at a spoke?? Another welder said he'd TIG it but claimed a larger HAZ.

Welding and brazing would destroy the finish. Epoxy would not. Interested in anyone's input especially personal experiences and successes failures. All welders are dead against epoxy saying "THAT WON'T WORK". Of course, put in perspective, they would say that right? Not necessarily out of personal experience or bias but simply that many failed JB WELD repairs have been brought to them where the AL Oxide say was not properly removed before attempting the repair? Obviously..those repairs with JB Weld that succeeded the item never made it to the welder so they would have a failure bias would they not? View attachment 193229View attachment 193230View attachment 193231

You need to buy a new wheel. there is no safe way to repair that one. Aluminum goes dead soft when it is welded. JB weld? You are nuckin futs!

Btw.. hello, I'm new to the forum. I am not a welder just an all around type guy. If I posted this in the wrong forum topic please show me mercy....
I'd really like some experienced opinions and after waiting to get registered I was excited to just "post up".
I do realize already that replacing the wheel ($$$$) would be the best option for those who will offer that advice. Of course.
I admit I'm "kind of afraid of welders" having had some bad experiences even from those whom came highly recommended. And how does one go about finding the "best welder" for a particular job? Easy said not so easy done...

Not nuts. There are ten spokes. I don't believe it was a stress crack. Maybe an issue from manufacture that came out over time? I've ridden it a few thousand miles with a tire patch on the inside of the rim. Crack got slightly larger so......
Getting a replacement would be quite difficult, maybe impossible.
Before tossing it I'd definitely go the epoxy route though first. The tire patch on the inside will hold the air and I can observe the outside for failure over miles...ridden progressively more aggressively of course... FYI.
Thanks for the input.

I'd have no issue building up a lip that was bent/damaged with weld and using it. I wouldnt even consider a spoke repair like that. IMO that wheel is a wall hanger (an expensive OZ wallhanger) but a wall hanger non the less.

Trash it. It's a bad idea to try to fix...a proper fix *might* be possible but would cost more than a new wheel...and wouldn't involve epoxy.

Does your license have you listed as an organ donor? Please make that change if not...

Oh, and your idea of using epoxy would be perfect, if this was a mug with a broken handle, or perhaps a loose hinge on a dresser. For a motorcycle wheel spoke, which is a "stress fracture"?

No. There's no nice way to put this - it's a very stupid idea. Please get a new wheel.

If you insist on trying this, talk to Masterbond (a capable epoxy vendor) and run the idea past them.

You can fix that, 3 easy steps but you need to follow these carefully.
1 remove wheel from bike
2 remove tire from rim
3 sledgehammer rim into many little pieces
sell scrap
thats 4 steps
But most importantly ...NEVER talk of this again

Epoxy, no matter how good, is plastic. It's not going to get you where you want to go... literally. It might get you exactly where you don't want to go. No matter how painful, the wheel is junk and has to be replaced.

You can fix that, 3 easy steps but you need to follow these carefully.
1 remove wheel from bike
2 remove tire from rim
3 sledgehammer rim into many little pieces
sell scrap
thats 4 steps
But most importantly ...NEVER talk of this again

Funny you should mention this - I turned in materials at a local scrapyard recently, and the guy ahead of me had a pickup bed full of damaged motorcycle wheels. Some didn't look to bad, but this is the last place to try to cheap out.

Anyone use MetalSet A4 type epoxy?
Miller Stephenson MS-907 epoxy?
JB Weld Metal epoxy?
Belzona? Alright now if that won't fix it!!! $$$$$. LOL

I appreciate all the incites here and hope my sincere question amused some of you at least a little! :). Please keep the opinions coming and specific references would be great...
Again, there are ten total spokes supporting this rim. A repair can be sealed with another tire patch on the inside to "hold air" and observe the repair ongoing. Simply put... the wheel is going to get repaired one way or the other and I will see how it goes! Success? Failure? We can all of us guess and some of us more expertly than others no? :).
Most of you know by now that adhesives and epoxies are being used extensively in the "structural" of high end autos for reduced weight, reduced cost, and increased performance and crash resilience. I know... read it and ? Plastic? Maybe, but pretty effective plastic in the right applications.
If nothing else...where have you used epoxy effectively? Tell me specifics of how you applied the epoxy.. prep, thickness, reinforcement(with what?), which specific epoxy etc??? Did the application involve shear forces? Was it able to withstand flex?
Those of you laughing are entitled. Enjoy yourselves but realize "YOU" might actually learn something from this thread?

Epoxy is for fixing Chinese furniture.

If you want to hire a few PhDs and finance some lab testing we will consider your repair techniques. Otherwise you you need a new rim or a better life insurance policy.

Btw.. hello, I'm new to the forum. I am not a welder just an all around type guy. If I posted this in the wrong forum topic please show me mercy....
I'd really like some experienced opinions and after waiting to get registered I was excited to just "post up".
I do realize already that replacing the wheel ($$$$) would be the best option for those who will offer that advice. Of course.
I admit I'm "kind of afraid of welders" having had some bad experiences even from those whom came highly recommended. And how does one go about finding the "best welder" for a particular job? Easy said not so easy done...

You ask for us to show you mercy. Moonlight Machine did exactly that when he said "You are nuckin futs!" My initial thoughts were much less polite. Since Moonlight set a civil tone, I will just add "Nell, Ho".

Excellent. 40 years of welding experience. Please do elaborate? Welding what? You are exactly the type of person whose experience I was wanting to tap into. Extensive aluminum welding I hope? Give it to me here... be harsh..... why not?
A local welder with 55 years stated experience said he would absolutely Weld it but the "finish would be toast...that if I didn't mind that?". Another welder, another shop, said to try epoxy, that that stuff is incredibly strong, would not HAZ the wheel and what have you to lose?

>>>I appreciate all the incites here <<<

inadvertent humor

one more incite, you seem obsessed that there are 10 spokes, do you suppose they designed a 9 spoke wheel and then added an xtra?

are you sure it is not forged[smallish section]

You ask for us to show you mercy. Moonlight Machine did exactly that when he said "You are nuckin futs!" My initial thoughts were much less polite. Since Moonlight set a civil tone, I will just add "Nell, Ho".

Well, thank you for being so "gentle". Can you give me some personal experiences/failures to support your "gentle"?

I appreciate all the incites here and hope my sincere question amused some of you at least a little! :). Please keep the opinions coming and specific references would be great...

Thanks, you've made it clear there's nothing we can say that you'll accept. Therefore it's in our interest to ignore you. Best of luck...

Back