Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Pretty sure from what I've read from the blacksmiths here, no real black smith would consider it useful.... In the same way that none of us here would consider a CNC 2 axis knee mill to be really useful.... But it doesn't mean it couldn't work.
    I have to disagree here, I know a couple of blacksmiths, including myself, that have done a good amount of work on a railroad rail made anvil. It's not ideal, but here in the south real anvils are quite difficult to come by for under a couple of dollars a pound. The trick is effective mass; a 3 foot long section of rail standing on end may only be 2 inches wide and weigh 100 pounds, but your hammer only knows that there is 3 feet of steel under it. That 100 pound piece of rail can act like a 250 pound anvil if you hit it right, and that is more than enough work area to make knives or bottle openers out of railroad spikes. A much better anvil is made by welding a chunk of tool steel (or a sledgehammer head) to the top. I would like to try welding 3 pieces crown to crown in a triangle and welding a slab of tool steel on top, but my pathetic little welder will barely do 3/16 tubing.

Here is more info and pics.
    Making anvils from Rail Road Rail : Anvil Making articles on anvilfire.com