What's new
What's new

pantograph cutting torch

kpotter

Diamond
I need one of these things I have been getting stuff lazer cut but the cost is killing me I want to make one but have found very little info or pics of them I understand the concept but would like some details like the magnetic tracer head. I am a total computer peasent and cnc is a no go. I have a hypotherm plasma cutter that will cu 3/4 inch I would like to hook it up to one of these, any ideas.

If you want to learn the concept to build your own look for an old Leroy set for drawing letters when drafting. The fundamental idea is the same. I will try to post some pictures of a friends Leroy set when I have the chance.

Thanks for all the replies I have a gorton panto but that looks like a no go. I have found some pics of them and building one would be no problem I just need help with the mag tracer I would like to find one and how fast does the thing spin? I will be using it daily or at least a few times a week so I need a good system.

On my Linde the tracer spins from 0 to about 100 rpm. If I was building one I'd probably try to buy the Linde motor unit because it's done so well. There is a magnet inside that magnetizes the interchangeable tips, the tips are gripped in a chuck that uses O rings and a packing nut, otherwise it seems to be just a 90° gearmotor. I've never had it apart to examine how it's made.

Can you still buy a linde are the parts still available? I have been checking the internet and found very little about these machines I think if I use one of these instead of paying the lazer cutter I will save a ton of money I already have the plasma cutter I just need the machine torch. The shapes are fairly simple but they are 20x20 with a slight curve plus they are 1/2 inch thick. I have been spending about 5000 bucks a year at the lazer cutter and most of that is labor the steel is about 25% of the cost.

An L-tech dealer would know I imagine. I still see them for sale occasionally, they were once called Heath, not sure if Linde bought the product from Heath or what the change was. I still see them in use in welding shops too, even shops with more modern technology on the floor.

forgive me if i am mistaken, but if all the parts are the same or just a few different ones then how about a stencil pattern? maybe a few patterns then you can keep the work in house and it better matches your schedule.

K, buy that one on ebay...it's a steal, and the 60" machines are real hard to come by. I have the smaller Victor model...same casting for the gear motor head. If you don't want that plasma torch, let me know, I'll buy it or a spare as I believe it is for a Thermal Dynamics machine. As far as building one, it is fairly easy, but you'll spend a considerable amount of time doing it...if your time is worth $10/hr or more, buy this one tonight!

Steve

Thanks for all the info I will check on that one in the morning, I have been talking to some friends who are cnc guys and they think this is a bad idea but I like it since it is simple and a basic cnc set up would be a few thousand plus I dont know how to use it and it would piss me off when it didnt work. Simple lasts forever.

Hi carl I have tried to stencil them but the speed of the cut is critical to getting a good finish and doing it by hand was a mess and I am pretty good with my hands. The motor will allow a better finish less choppy and a perfectly straight cut.

Thanks for all the info I will check on that one in the morning, I have been talking to some friends who are cnc guys and they think this is a bad idea but I like it since it is simple and a basic cnc set up would be a few thousand plus I dont know how to use it and it would piss me off when it didnt work. Simple lasts forever.

The payback on this one will be about 1 month. I wouldn't go cnc unless you were a job shop doing a lot of cutting and changing the parts being cut every day, so for you it's not an issue. Even a tracer is more of a pita than these machines for simple work, these are way easier to use up scraps of material with, position odd shaped parts on the table, etc. The only downsides to these as far as I've experienced, is 1) the longer time it takes to cut a nice template out of sheet steel, and 2) all your outside sharp corners will have a radius of 1/2 of the tracer wheel diameter.

Hi; I am also thinking about building my own to use either oxy/acetylene or plasma. I have used a Heath brand oxy acet. in the past and like you am paying to have simple shapes cut. I would rather pay myself and own the machine. The magnet for the tracer is available from Mcmaster Carr and the rest can be found on ebay. I already know how I want to build the framework and the rest is some experimentation. I posted a few days ago about a shape cutter with the same thought as you. pm me if you like. DRWELD1

I got lucky today and found a new machine torch for my hypertherm 600, the only problem now is that my machine wont cut 1/2 inch with the machine torch. I found a plasma cutter guy who is going to do it for less than before but I am still going to get a pantograph going I may try and upgrade to a bigger plasma cutter but that is going to cost about 2500 bucks I might go oxy acetaline I already have that.

Back