What's new
What's new

Havind a problem with my roller. What are slip roller rolls made from

fallriverbryan

Aluminum
Hey all
I am curious if anybody knows what the steel alloy is that higher quality rollers are made from. I'm mostly interested in the actual rollers. We have a powered roller in our shop that seems to have flat spots. When rolling metal the finished tubes don't come out round. I would make new rollers if I can get the material. Or, if someone has run into this problem and found a different solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bryan

Why not just turn your rollers? Remove as little metal as it takes to clean them up. Make sure your lathe is set up properly though, 3-4 thou taper in 6" at the chuck is huge 48" from the chuck. Make your new ones out of 1045.

I picked up on that. It seems to me thou that checking with a straightedge showed some taper on a couple rolls that we have. Maybe they are just worn over the years. Another thought I had was that a shaft was bent in the gear box. I really don't know. I can't visually see that the rollers are running untrue. Plus, with everything being somewhat worn, I may now be seeing the actual problem.

Back