What's new
What's new

Amada shear set up.

kpotter

Diamond
I should be getting an amada 2545 in the next week or so. It is being delivered and the set up is being done by an amada tech. How much concrete do I need and can I use steel plate under it if it is not enough. The shear weighs 11000lbs.

Kev,
11K isn't all that much. You have to remember that is spread out over a large foot print. Most shears have decent size pads. Lets say their surface area is around 16 sq in each(4"x4"). 16x4=64 sq in. 11000lbs/64=171.875lbs/sq in. Not much. You exert more than that by walking across the floor. 3-4 of crete is fine if it's good crete and good soil under it. 'Course 5+ is better.

Kev,
11K isn't all that much. You have to remember that is spread out over a large foot print. Most shears have decent size pads. Lets say their surface area is around 16 sq in each(4"x4"). 16x4=64 sq in. 11000lbs/64=171.875lbs/sq in. Not much. You exert more than that by walking across the floor. 3-4 of crete is fine if it's good crete and good soil under it. 'Course 5+ is better.

Taking the weight is not the only issue here ,guillotines ,particularly the more modern fabricated ones ,rely on being correctly levelled to a suitable concrete base for stiffness required to set the clearence.

The few I had seen set up were basically self supporting. I'd say it would be a fairly flimsy machine that didn't have enough back bone to support itself, let alone staying put and not flexing during a cut.

All i can add even though ours is not a amada is don't try adding some extra feet - packing in the middle. The flex of a full thickness cut lifted both ends up before dropping back down a good 1/8" with a incredibly loud ground shaking thud!

Above all go through it on arrival, lube her up well and then check the calibration of things. Make no assumptions on a second hand machine about side lays being square!

What do Amada say ?

Every modern machine tool* I had to detail a foundation for, came with very specific minimums
on a formal drawing including bolt/feet locations.

*Except Haas.....toss them anywheres in the corner of an un-heated pole barn, on a dirt floor.

What do Amada say ?

Every modern machine tool* I had to detail a foundation for, came with very specific minimums
on a formal drawing including bolt/feet locations.

*Except Haas.....toss them anywheres in the corner of an un-heated pole barn, on a dirt floor.

Only thing I would say with that is that the recomended thickness is probably huge, I am thinking Kevin needs to know what he can get away with.

Its only a bit over 5 ton, its spread out over a fairly big area too compared to say a VMC. Is that a hydraulic or mechanical shear? The mechanicals cut a lot faster - harder and our one is clearly audible through out the entire row of four units when cutting 1/8" plate. Not so much the shear part, more the load - unload of the mechanism coupled through the rigid steel frame straight into the floor slab.

IIRC you were looking for an 8' shear so the feet should be 9-10' apart. It also seems like your building is older. Any concrete that isn't cracked or broken will probably be ok, and if it is cracked or broken a steel plate won't help you out. But actually monitoring the levelness of the shear after installation will tell you what you need to know. If it stays level, or moves for a few weeks to months and then stays level you are good. If you have to keep chasing the level it needs a better floor.

In the absence of any other information and you have to pour a floor section, I have heard a rule of thumb of the floor section being 4 times the weight of the machine for dynamic loading such as shears or punch presses.

Back