What's new
What's new

Plasma cutter Avortec

meco3hp

Hot Rolled
Hello,
Anybody ever heard of these guys?

Avortec - TIG Welders, MIG Welders, Plasma Cutters, Generators, APU's, Tools, And Industrial Products, www.avortec.com

I'm looking for my first plasma torch and ran across these guys. I'm thinking their claims might be a little over the top. I do light fab work and scrapping. Looking to cut up to 1/2" at a time, 1 or 2 minutes at a time.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions of plasma torches to check out? Looking to keep my capital outlay to around $1000.

Thanks!
Richard

You can get a Hypertherm Powermax30 for close to your budget....it will sever 1/2" materials, but is most comfortable in the 1/4" and thinner range. It is US designed and built by employee owners....and has product support that is second to none!

Here is a link to the info on the Hypertherm | Plasma Cutters | Plasma Cutting Equipment | Metal Cutting Equipment site.

Powermax30 plasma cutter | Products & Services | Hypertherm

Jim Colt

Hello,
Anybody ever heard of these guys?

Avortec - TIG Welders, MIG Welders, Plasma Cutters, Generators, APU's, Tools, And Industrial Products, www.avortec.com

I'm looking for my first plasma torch and ran across these guys. I'm thinking their claims might be a little over the top. I do light fab work and scrapping. Looking to cut up to 1/2" at a time, 1 or 2 minutes at a time.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions of plasma torches to check out? Looking to keep my capital outlay to around $1000.

Thanks!
Richard

hypertherm?

Hi Jim
Love my Hypertherm Powermax 900 so far - haven't used it too much.

Curious about your reply on this thread. "US designed and built by employee owners". Could you elaborate on this please?

As one who does his best to always buy MADE IN THE U.S.A. (which is really tough these days), I'm wondering what Hypertherm is doing?

thanks and Happy New Year everyone.

Hypertherm designs, tests for reliability, and manufactures all of its products in its New Hampshire based facilities. The company is owned by all of its (around 1200) employees, who all share in profitability of the company in good times. During the recent economic downturn the business levels dropped rather dramatically, yet we made the corporate decision to not lay off a single employee...rather everyone shifted responsibilities to ensure that when the recession ended we would still be firing on all cylinders. Many production workers shifted into research and development department jobs, we increased spending in engineering and new system development. We took the downtime to improve our production facilities in terms of manufacturing equipment, test equipment, and production fixtures. Overtime of course was cut, but everyone was still employed! Those that traveled in sales and technical services positions traveled smarter, cheaper, and more efficiently.

When the downturn finally hit bottom and started back up....Hypertherm still had its fully trained and capable staff.....while many of our competitors had to hire new workers and had to retrain. We also had 4 or 5 newly released plasma cutting products.....our competitors had none. Hypertherm is very busy again, we are growing at rates much faster than others in our industry, our new product are selling at record rates, and all of our employees still have their jobs......as well as over 40 new jobs that have been added.

Over 60% of Hypertherms all USA built products are exported to other parts of the world, with China being one of our largest growing markets.

So, we are very proud of our company and products, and I think we have clearly proven that American factories can compete on a worldwide market with proper management. I have been with Hypertherm for 33 years....and if anyone ever ventures into New Hampshire (Hanover to be exact) contact me and I'd be glad to provide a tour of Hypertherms main facility where all of the plasma products are manufactured!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Hi Jim
Love my Hypertherm Powermax 900 so far - haven't used it too much.

Curious about your reply on this thread. "US designed and built by employee owners". Could you elaborate on this please?

As one who does his best to always buy MADE IN THE U.S.A. (which is really tough these days), I'm wondering what Hypertherm is doing?

thanks and Happy New Year everyone.

Made in the usa

Great to hear Jim!!! Thanks for the detailed explanation. Sounds like Hypertherm is a model for other US mfg companies to follow.

I was a bit confused (or maybe gunshy) when you originally stated "US designed" - as I see so many companies putting big full color American flags on their products/packaging and then in print you need a magnifying glass to read it says "Designed in USA, made in China" or something to that effect. Sure glad that is not the case for Hypertherm.

I'm so glad to hear of your success and will definitely keep buying Hypertherm products.

Thanks also for what you and Hypertherm are doing for the wounded warriors project - what a great cause!

BUY USA!!

I agree that Hypertherm Plasma cutters are top notch! However in my case, I wanted a multi process inverter machine to get a little more out of my money. I own a Avortec AV5X and could have bought a Hypertherm Powermax 45 for what I spent on it. The AV5X has lived up to everything Jeff at Avortec said it would do. Yes it's made of Chinese components and has a nice painted up cover just like Everlast and similar machines. But I have been able to cut 1/2 steel with no problems at all as long as the air is kept dry as possible. The Plasma maxes out at 60 amps and yes it will slice through 1" thick steel as well. The TIG side of the machine has been working great and so has the Arc SMAW. The only issue I've had is the foot pedal went bad on me for the TIG, but AVORTEC customer service is currently top notch. The guy is very helpful and has replaced my foot pedal at no cost to me, he even covered my shipping costs to send it back to him. For the price I paid for it, I think it is worth every bit in my home shop. I would still love to own a Hypertherm someday, and if I start doing more work on the cutting/fabrication side of things, I will consider buying one. I was skeptical at Everlast machines when they first came out, but they seem to be gaining popularity and you will see them on YouTube shows like Tig Time and Welding Tips and Tricks. I just never bought one back then because I have been waiting for a multi process machine that has AC and now they are out there. The AV5X is AC/DC using IGBTs which are better than MOSFETs. I have TIG welded mild steel, Aluminum, and Stainless with no issues using pure Argon.

Hypertherm 30xp, will sever cut 20mm hardox in the real world in my lowly hands and cut half inch with ease - similar to gas cutting speed just with out the preheat or oxy or propane or acetylene.

Hypertherm 30xp, will sever cut 20mm hardox in the real world in my lowly hands and cut half inch with ease - similar to gas cutting speed just with out the preheat or oxy or propane or acetylene.

I don't disagree with that! Hypertherm is the machine to own when it comes to plasma cutting. I said good things about my Avortec and yes so far it's working good on the welding side of things. There are times I have problems with the plasma cutter but it's not the machine itself, it's the Chinese torches, mainly sometimes you get crappy consumables. Someday though I hope to upgrade to a Powermax 45!

Jim Colt, Its refreshing to hear from someone who is as proud of their company as you are, I currently own a miller plasma but based on what you said, I will take a hard look at your company when it comes time to renew.

Regards, David Alexander.

Back