What's new
What's new

Power roll for welding round parts

CNC Farming

Aluminum
Anyone have experience or recommendations with small power rolls for welding various rollers/ round parts? I'm looking for something with around 3 inch minimum part size and ideally a foot pedal variable speed control. Something that uses a standard tig welder foot control would be good. Any suggestions? I see Lincoln makes one that will do 2 in to 16 in for $1500 msrp. I'll check with our lincoln supplier on price but not expecting much better... best I could get out of him when I bought a new torchmate 4800 was him to sell me a Viking 3350 helmet at cost:eek:

Investigate powered conveyor sections (used). Usually has 3/4 hp with VFD for regulation.

Don’t use “welding positioner” as intended use; the seller doesn’t need to know, doesn’t need to google for comparable pricing.

You’ll end up with a ten foot section to be modified as needed.

I wouldn’t worry about arcing the bearings, you’ll have plenty of spare rollers.

Motionguru should have an opinion on this, ask him.

eBay - Page Not Found

I've made a small system out of a worm drive motor and speed controller. The spindle is threaded to accept one of my lathes chucks and accessories.

rotary welder.jpg weld5.jpg

I have a home made rotary pipe bender, for a while i had a lovely job using it and a simple locator to center the part not even a chuck, welding discs on the end of short bits of 3" 16 gauge tube, in effect creating - replicating what was a deep drawn item. With a nice slow gear motor given a constant RPM, Tig torch gaffa taped to a DTI stand and a back purge through the middle of the table the results were near bloody amazing, was doing batches of a 100 a time, first 100 by hand took a fair bit of clean up as the OD had to then be polished out to a nice radius. Motorised potters wheel setup and a couple lobbed in the bin dialling in the settings and the result was untrue, i could polish 1 in the time one took to weld, made a killing on that job per hour there after! Smooth constant rotation makes for a really nice weld. Only thing i would add is you need seriously low speed and smooth motion, think just a few RPM, but the smoother the motion the better the weld!

Back