What's new
What's new

Flux-Core Welding Stainless Tubing

ToolPost

Cast Iron
Just as the title states- is it possible?

I'll admit I haven't done much research in the area, but I'm wondering if I'd be able to weld stainless exhaust tubing if I only had access to a 120v Lincoln MIG/Flux-Core welder.

I'm not sure of whether this machine is DC/straight or AC/reverse or any other variation. I'd imagine that if the polarity and current matched up, and I could actually find stainless flux-core wire, this would work.

I have an arc welder, but it's an utter pile of junk and only good for hack-jobs. I would prefer not to have to get a tank and would rather do it all w/flux-core wire if it's even possible or available.

In some spots, I'd have to weld the tubing to 1/2" flanges; I could make them 3/8" if there's any issues that would make the 0.500" thickness an exponentially bigger hassle.

Thanks for any suggestions. I haven't touched a MIG since a few years ago in high-school.

No. I dont think there are any Stainless Flux core wires that are small enough to run in that machine. Plus the steel flux core for those little machine sucks. Not enough heat for good separation of the flux from the weld.

Buy the gas valve kit for the welder and run solid wire. You will like the prettier bead, lack of smoke, and the ability to run aluminum and stainless out of the welder.

Fantastic, thanks.

I'll rent an argon tank then, or whatever inert gas would be suitable for stainless. I've got the tank connection kit.

I'll probably be back asking things about regulator PSI and what not.

Back