What's new
What's new

Which processes for welding stamped or drawn steel?

SteveBausch

Stainless
My brief attempts at stick welding on a pickup truck's bed suggests the internal stresses makes it difficult for stick, haven't tried MIG yet.

I'm thinking TIG or brazing...

My brief attempts at stick welding on a pickup truck's bed suggests the internal stresses makes it difficult for stick, haven't tried MIG yet.

I'm thinking TIG or brazing...

You need to be pretty good with a stick to weld anything that thin, Dead easy with a mig though. Pretty easy with a tig as well. Never liked brazing body work though.

yep, tough to stick weld truck and auto "body panels".

you did't really get to what your particular difficulties were, other than to reference "internal stresses", but from experience, usually the stick arc just blows through thin stuff. don't think it would make any difference if it were in the fully annealed condition. if I had to, I'd probably try 6011, 1/16" on AC.

dammit! now you have me wanting to try that just for the hell of it!

don't remember what I used on my buddy's '57 Desoto Fireflight many years ago when all I had was a Miller Thunderbolt. (that was probably as thick as body panels ever got in detroit)

P.S., stamped and drawn steel doesn't mean "thin". welding gas tanks are drawn.

+1 on MIG (GMAW). .023 short circuit, maybe 10% Co2?

I'd never try a stick on this. Too thin for me.
Torch welded many body panels but kind of an art to prevent distortion.
Tig next step down yet still warps things.
Mig is dirt simple, you can write your name with these things with 2 hours training. Not really welding in my book but the go to for body panels.
Braze is cheating and my dog could do it.
Bob

I'd never try a stick on this. Too thin for me.
Torch welded many body panels but kind of an art to prevent distortion.
Tig next step down yet still warps things.
Mig is dirt simple, you can write your name with these things with 2 hours training. Not really welding in my book but the go to for body panels.
Braze is cheating and my dog could do it.
Bob

3 of the 4 process's you listed spend too much time on the panel, and lead
to warping.
Get on it hot (within reason) and fast, and get off it.

Back