What's new
What's new

Simple back gauge fingers for press brake

potatohead908

Plastic
First post here. I have this brake coming next week and it's never been setup to run. I need to order die material and figure out what to do with the backstop gauge. I know virtually NOTHING about press brakes. I've searched the internet for pictures and info but what I find is a whole retrofit kit for backstop gauges. The parts I will be making (at first) are simple "boxes" and I think I only need stationary fingers for each "station". Is this setup a common starting point and if so where do I find parts to move forward?

Press brake trimmed.JPG

These are what is on mine. They flip up so when the material has a lip or something below them they can get out of the way. Also have a screw underneath to fine tune the ht of each. Another screw and lock screw allows fine tuning the in and out position to match one to another or set a taper. And finally a quick lever screw to lock in place on rail.
7a94c37cddbfacb6dbf38e8cdd16566d.jpg

All I've been around are shop made. The ends are milled into a rectangle about .125" by .500" and ground flat.

Thanks for the info Garwood. I'm guessing my methods will be more crude at first then what JP Machining shows.

I just use some tool steel blocks bolted to the back gauge. No flipping up fingers. If there is a lip or something that might be caught, I set the back gauge Z very low so that we tilt the flat down slightly to gauge it. And then as the punch descends it flips it clear of the block and does it's thing. In the event it is set wrong, my whole back gauge slide can flip up and avoid catastrophe.

-Jim

I just use some tool steel blocks bolted to the back gauge. No flipping up fingers. If there is a lip or something that might be caught, I set the back gauge Z very low so that we tilt the flat down slightly to gauge it. And then as the punch descends it flips it clear of the block and does it's thing. In the event it is set wrong, my whole back gauge slide can flip up and avoid catastrophe.

-Jim

This is probably how I will get started. I can see the benefit of having the ability to fine tune depths and heights. The flip up option may not be an issue for now...?

I build this for my Di acro 16-24 . I have maybe $150 in it. I like it so munch I ordered material for my other press brake.

Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I build this for my Di acro 16-24 . I have maybe $150 in it. I like it so munch I ordered material for my other press brake.

Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Where did you buy that stuff, I'm building a new project but along the same lines and I'm not finding cheap stuff.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Back