What's new
What's new

Sliproll info needed

joker

Aluminum
Does anyone know if there is a sliproll available that will roll sheetmetal to the edges?
I have a part that is .032" thick x 6" wide x 10" long titanium, basically football shaped, that needs to have about a 10" radius along the long axis end to end, no flat areas.
Thanks, Joker

The pyramid type will leave a flats, the pinch type will leave a flat at the end, but this is fixed by reversing the work. The pinch type has two rollers, on one top of the other, that pinches the work and feeds it into a deflection roller. The pinch type is also handy in that it will flatten messed up sheet metal by passing it through numerous times in different directions....here's some pics of one i made ages ago to give a better idea

Sliproll

Thanks McGyver,
I have a sliproll like that. Yes, you can minimize the flats by reversing but they will still be there to some extent. The part I need to make specifically calls out no flat areas.
I was told by someone that there is a roll system out there that will do it but I do not know how reliable the info is. That is why I posted here, hoping that someone would know something about it. Thanks, Joker

Di-acro made a little unit (for your kind of work)
that only had TWO rolls.

The bottom roll was made of urethane (like used on a press
brake die) and the top roller mashed the piece down into
the bottom roller, causing it to support the piece like a die.

Most small manual rolls are 3 roll, and dont naturally roll all the way to the end. There are tricks to get what you want-
Plate Bending Rolls, Sheet Metal Slip Rolling Machines

But if you really need cylinders, you move up in price and complexity.

There are 4 roll machines, which are always power rolls, which move the front and back rolls up and down hydraulically-- and these will do what you want-
http://www.comeq.com/Literature/Americor4-LHCat1209Pgs.pdf

there are also dedicated cylinder rolling machines.
http://www.comeq.com/specials/Auto Roll.JPG
this is a cylinder machine, which makes flat free cylinders- it retails for about $17,500, for a 4' x 16 gage machine, and thats on sale.
I think its probably italian.

There are a variety of other cylinder machines out there- they are rare, expensive, and almost never available used. But they exist.

Thanks guys.
Just so everyone is on the same page, I am not making a cylinder, just a part with a radius to it that has fairly tight tolerances (for sheetmetal). Joker

This shape would probably lend itself better to a press operation with a custom die.

1. As Ries pointed out you would need a 4 roll machine to minimize the flat.
2. The foot ball shape will give you a fit attempting to maintain the same radius across the part.

You can attempt it with a small 3 roll slip roller but have to use a press brake to preform the radius on the outer ends. If you can do this you should be able to press the entire part.

Walter A.

Joker, A company named Carando made a "true circle roll" , it had a shoe machined to the radius you wanted and fit into the pinch area of the rolls, it was a 2 roll machine as I remember. The company was in California somewhere. You could probably make something similar to work on an initial pinch roll and roll in reverse. Doing the job with a die might be easier for low volume. Martin

Back