What's new
What's new

Splitting single Argon tank to run 2 welders

bedehaan

Plastic
Currently have MIG welder and will maybe eventually purchase a TIG. From what I can tell people run multiple machines on a single shielding gas tank. Looking for some advice on parts/fittings to make this work? Home shop so would only be running one machine at any given time.

They make dual independent flowmeters, but mig and TIG have separate shielding gases.

Expensive little part. if I were to use a single flowmeter, any cheaper alternative or is dual flow meter the way to go (would only be using single machine at a time)?

It was my understanding they both can use Argon or do you have a different recommendation?

You probably want two tanks anyway so you can run them pretty well out before taking them back for more gas. I have two large argon cylinders for my TIG and it's nice not having to worry about running out at a really inopportune time. I do deal with a welding supply shop that does customer owned cylinders so having two doesn't cost me anything beyond the initial purchase...if yours are leased the additional fees might be a concern.

You probably want two tanks anyway so you can run them pretty well out before taking them back for more gas. I have two large argon cylinders for my TIG and it's nice not having to worry about running out at a really inopportune time. I do deal with a welding supply shop that does customer owned cylinders so having two doesn't cost me anything beyond the initial purchase...if yours are leased the additional fees might be a concern.

If you are serious about welding you need spare cyls. I have 3 argon, 2 argon co2, 2 acetylene and 2 oxygen.

OK. Understood. Sounds like might just have to settle with the 2 tanks then.

Well, no.

You can equip each machine with a quick coupler and move the hose
as needed.

But if you need the mix for MIG, you can buy a Smith Mixer, and get a small bottle of CO2.
Available cheaper (than your LWS) at fire extinguisher shops.
(the smith mixer though is terribly expensive new, search ebay for used)

Or roll your own mixer from (2) regulators with the ball type flowmeters, and a "tee" fitting.

Search on Weldreality.com for the details if desired to go that route.

Well, no.

You can equip each machine with a quick coupler and move the hose
as needed.

But if you need the mix for MIG, you can buy a Smith Mixer, and get a small bottle of CO2.
Available cheaper (than your LWS) at fire extinguisher shops.
(the smith mixer though is terribly expensive new, search ebay for used)

Or roll your own mixer from (2) regulators with the ball type flowmeters, and a "tee" fitting.

Search on Weldreality.com for the details if desired to go that route.

Cheaper and less trouble to just get the correct gas cyls.

Cheaper and less trouble to just get the correct gas cyls.
Not for me it aint....
I own my CO2 bottles, get them filled very inexpensively.
I have about 4 co2 bottles (from 5lb portables to 20 lb aluminum ones)

And 2 large argon bottles.
So I always have at least (1) bottle of argon and CO2 around.

I can switch to any ratio with a simple twist of the dial, go from tig, to flux core mig, short arc mig, spray arc mig etc.

Yeah, but if you have a TIG why oh why would you contemplate migging alu???

That said, i have been toying with a small mig for steel for a while, would love to go the mixer route, but its probably just cheaper to buy in mig mix in its own bottle for a long long time!

Yeah, but if you have a TIG why oh why would you contemplate migging alu???

Because sometimes you just need to get work done. $/inch of weld, TIG is a high dollar solution that often the job won't support.

Back