What's new
What's new

!st time poster can someone enlighten me.

tugjeep

Plastic
I need to bend a simple u shaped bracket with a flat bottom. the legs will be 18" to 24" long and the middle section will be 5 and 7/8' wide and also 7 7/8" wide (2 different sizes). we will cut these out on the plasma table with the holes that are needed for finish product. just need to know if im missing something other than a horizontal table type press. I have been quoted a euromac 400cnc. we currently weld these together trying to get to where we can keep them one piece and bend them.I have 2 iron workers a 90t scotchman and a 50t uni hydro. Thanks in advance. these will be bent out of 1/4" a36 structural steel.

I can enlighten you that this thread is going to be locked because you didn't read the posting rules of our forum

Was there another violation, other than the meaningless title?

If you spend some time reading here "Meaningless title" is enforced so that
people can actually search the archives and get meaningful results.

The forum has degraded so much in past years with these meaningless titles, that
new members don't even bother to search the archives, and just keep asking
the same questions over and over, even when the topic has been hashed to death
a couple of times before, and much good info has been written on/about.

Sorry folks I've spent hours reading the forums sorry to ruffle feathers. No worries

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry folks I've spent hours reading the forums sorry to ruffle feathers. No worries
But yet apparently you didn't see the myriad of locked postings,
with the reason for locking clearly stated by the moderator....

I need to bend a simple u shaped bracket with a flat bottom. the legs will be 18" to 24" long and the middle section will be 5 and 7/8' wide and also 7 7/8" wide (2 different sizes). we will cut these out on the plasma table with the holes that are needed for finish product. just need to know if im missing something other than a horizontal table type press. I have been quoted a euromac 400cnc. we currently weld these together trying to get to where we can keep them one piece and bend them.I have 2 iron workers a 90t scotchman and a 50t uni hydro. Thanks in advance. these will be bent out of 1/4" a36 structural steel.

Apparently you don't think the width of the 1/4" A36 or the desired bend radius are significant factors. That may be the real problem.

I see a huge issue with bending the 2nd leg, you are going to need a window through the ram on your press brake for the 2nd leg to go through when it bends. I don't see how you are going to bend it in one piece. That Euromac press brake will work if you put what is normally the lower die on the moving element. you better need to make a mess of them to pay for that brake.

Thanks for the reply moonlight. We do sell a lot of these brackets just trying to improve efficiency and also deliver a better end product for my customers. The euromac may be the end result but was just trying to get some other opinions or maybe someone with some experience with a similar machine. Thanks for the helpful reply.

With legs that length the only way to break those parts is to put a back break in the centre of the channel, bend the two legs and then flatten the centre bend. More work than two clean bends but it saves welding. I'd be inclined to bend two 90 degree angles and make one weld in the centre. That would definitely be cleaner looking than welded legs...

You may be able to use a big press brake, use long dies and clamp them well, leave them hang out the side of the brake enough to do your bends. Make some sort of stops so it is easy to bend them the same.

Lkeith that's an idea we kicked around and I will play with that tomorrow a bit. The back bend I'm concerned about consistency will have to try one. moonlight have not thought of that I have a small press break when I get back to it I will see if that's an option that may be the ticket. Thank u both for your quality input. U guys rock and I will let u know the outcome.

You don't define quantity, nor the length of time you expect to make those parts. When it comes to justifying tooling expenses, those things matter.

That is an ideal part for a horn press. One hit, both bends. Build it for the wide part and it won't care about the narrow one.

Otherwise, I'd think about a special built machine for the second bend. Two stage hydraulic and spank the bottom, you don't even need stroke control.

Suggested title: First Time Poster Needing Advice Bending Steel Bracket.

If you change it to something meaningful the thread will survive. If not, start a new thread with a more descriptive title.

G bent we have constant demand we sell as many as 100 a month at a retail of 65$ ea. it is an ongoing need just trying to refine a little. I will google a horn press I think I understand what u are talking about.

Sorry about that... got it, I thought the 5.5" and 7.5" was the width of the flat bottom. Otherwise, if the width was under 4" I would have recommended a Hossfeld.

I need to bend a simple u shaped bracket with a flat bottom. the legs will be 18" to 24" long and the middle section will be 5 and 7/8' wide and also 7 7/8" wide (2 different sizes). we will cut these out on the plasma table with the holes that are needed for finish product. just need to know if im missing something other than a horizontal table type press.

If there's required alignment between these holes in each leg to each other, inconsistent bends/springback can easily affect
the final alignment. Something to consider before the fact, rather than after.

Yes Gary I will need a working capacity in the 8" range on the punch and die. A lot of the smaller horizontal presses have only a 4" height on the tooling. Thanks for u input

Back