What's new
What's new

Standard sheet metal sizes outside of US

bryan_machine

Diamond
Members outside of the US, or with outside of US experience:

What are the typical sizes for light gages (say 16ga to 24ga or equivalent) of large sheets?

(In the US 4'x8' and 4'x12' seem most common. Surely the dimensions outside of the US are some neat metric value instead? Or is 4'x8' actually a worldwide size?)

thx
bmw

the standards here are pretty much 1000x2000mm, 1250x2500mm and 1500x3000mm. of course you can pretty much get any size you want depending on the quantity you're after.

plywood and OSB are still 4'x8'

drywall has just recently been changed to 120cm width from 4' but the standard lengths of 260cm and 300cm haven't changed.

(say 16ga to 24ga or equivalent)
That’s would need translating anywhere outside of the USA. I would even know what a gauge / gage was to look at it now.

List here from down under, as far as I know they are actual metric sizes. Your 4 x 8, we would call a 1200 x 2400. Very common size. We would stop at 3,000mm long unless it was a real special order.

http://www.scottmetals.com.au/sheet.php

Regards Phil.

You are talking past each other. When you are talking about "Gage or Gauge" in the US - you are talking about thickness. These terms are not known outside the US. The rest of the world uses mm for thickness like 1mm, 1.2mm, 1.5mm etc..

That’s would need translating anywhere outside of the USA. I would even know what a gauge / gage was to look at it now.

List here from down under, as far as I know they are actual metric sizes. Your 4 x 8, we would call a 1200 x 2400. Very common size. We would stop at 3,000mm long unless it was a real special order.

http://www.scottmetals.com.au/sheet.php

Regards Phil.

i think it would need translating in the US as well. every different metal has it's own guage dimensions: steel, galvanized steel, stainless steel, copper aluminium and on and on....and then you have wire guages, needle guages, guages for plastic materials, bla, bla, bla. i think each generation just teaches the next how to eyeball a piece of sheet metal and throw out an arbitrary guage number, with a good eye you won't be too far off:)

and the sheet sizes in that link look like they reflect your recent conversion to metric. multiples of 30cm and 60cm

and the sheet sizes in that link look like they reflect your recent conversion to metric. multiples of 30cm and 60cm
Not that recent, we changed mid 70's, I think those sizes stem back to be roughly equivalent of what we had in feet sizes so there wasn't such a drastic change.

Phil.

Gauge is still common over here, even the metric sizes are just what the gauges translate too. 2x1m sheet or 2.4x1.2m commonly available roughly near a 6x3 or 8x4 foot sheet size!

Gauge isn't the great unknown south of the equator, old supplier had charts that specced that way...provided sheet metal gauge tools as part of a Xmas promotional gimmick too, years back.

If buying various grades of aluminium, there were restrictive trade agreements put into place years ago on manufacture locally, so you end up with 12x4 sheets anyhow.

Noticed it more on plate, you'll have thickness markings made to metrically comply - assume this is done at factory....gasp, in the USA!

Back