What's new
What's new

TIG Brazing With a BuzzBox?

Spyderedge

Titanium
Besides carbon arc brazing, are there any other ways to braze using an arc welder? Can you hold a TIG electrode in the stinger and braze using standard brazing rod the same way you would TIG braze?

(I am already aware of nickel rods.)

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Besides carbon arc brazing, are there any other ways to braze using an arc welder? Can you hold a TIG electrode in the stinger and braze using standard brazing rod the same way you would TIG braze?

I have a vintage Lincoln carbon arc torch that I used before I got into TIG because it was so much less expensive than Oxy-Acetylene welding. They work very well. I doubt that you can use a brazing rod in a stinger since brazing requires preheat in order to make a joint.

If you get into TIG sometime, there are silicon bronze rods that can be used with a TIG welder. Most any Local welding Service will have them. I've used them and they work very well.

...If you get into TIG sometime, there are silicon bronze rods that can be used with a TIG welder...

There are numerous braze type rods that you can use with tig. Silicon bronze, aluminum bronze, cast iron, high temp, low temp--do a little
digging and you'll find something for just about any application...

tig electrode in a stick electrode holder ??
you need to read a book on welding. HF tig stick welding machine about $180 and $40 for flowmeter and less than $100 for small argon cylinder. thats about $300 investment for scratch start tig welding with argon.
you cant afford $300 than you cant afford to weld just about anything. after a year thats less than $1 a day or after 2 years thats $0.50 a day. i spend more on coffee that that
many people spending more than that on their cellphone, cable bill and many other monthly charges

tig electrode in a stick electrode holder ??
you need to read a book on welding. HF tig stick welding machine about $180 and $40 for flowmeter and less than $100 for small argon cylinder. thats about $300 investment for scratch start tig welding with argon.
you cant afford $300 than you cant afford to weld just about anything. after a year thats less than $1 a day or after 2 years thats $0.50 a day. i spend more on coffee that that
many people spending more than that on their cellphone, cable bill and many other monthly charges
I didn't mean welding with the tungsten. I was wondering about creating an arc using the tungsten then feeding in brazing rod by hand.

I didn't mean welding with the tungsten. I was wondering about creating an arc using the tungsten then feeding in brazing rod by hand.

if you have shielding gas, if not, tungsten isn't going to last long.

my brother and I tried tig welding, with propane from a torch as a shielding gas.. didn't get far..

you have described tig welding- thats how it works- you create an arc with the tungsten, then feed in the filler rod by hand. You need an inert atmosphere around the tungsten- that means argon. and you need DC, not AC, to create a stable arc. I have scratch start tig welded with a DC buzzbox, it works just fine- but, again, you need a hundred and twenty dollar torch, a forty buck regulator, and a tank of argon.
you cannot use a tungsten without sheilding gas, and you will want a DC power supply.

Aint no Free Lunch.

Shielding gas has another function besides protecting the weld pool from contamination.

From gas-tungsten-arc-welding-sodel.pdf

Effect of electric current and polarity
The inert gases employed in the TIG welding are ionized (plasma) under the effect
of electric arc. The ionization and the expansion of these gases have a
double effect: the stabilization of the electric arc and the protection of
the weld pool, the base metal and the end of the filler metal against air
contamination. Furthermore, the positive charges resulting from the gas
ionization are accelerated and directed by the electric field toward the
negative pole (cathode).

FromGas Tungsten Arc Welding , Michael Francoeur

Melting followed by fusion of the weld joint results from the flow of electrons, (the arc current) and the very high temperature of the arc plasma through which the current passes and which provides the conductance path. The arc comprises both the current and plasma, along with some generated metallic vapors, etc. Plasma temperature at the electrode can be tens of thousands of degrees Fahrenheit depending on amperage. Within the arc region it can be ten to twenty thousand degrees Fahrenheit.

polarity.jpg

Please don't get offended. No one knows what your experience is, but by the way you described it, didnt sound like much. Your quotes dont mean anything unless you understand them. That last part you emboldened basically means it also helps with penetration. The gas itself and the rate of flow have an impact. Also the type of gas you are using for shielding. Most experience from tig welding comes with the hood down, not reading a book or internet posts. It will get you set up and an idea of what you are supposed to do, but its all hood time that brings it home.

you have described tig welding- thats how it works- you create an arc with the tungsten, then feed in the filler rod by hand. You need an inert atmosphere around the tungsten- that means argon. and you need DC, not AC, to create a stable arc. I have scratch start tig welded with a DC buzzbox, it works just fine- but, again, you need a hundred and twenty dollar torch, a forty buck regulator, and a tank of argon.
you cannot use a tungsten without sheilding gas, and you will want a DC power supply.

Aint no Free Lunch.
AC is used in some cases also on TIG brazing. Like when brazing steel with aluminium bronze. Maybe the less concentrated AC arc would be also benefit when you are trying to braze, not weld things.

I didn't know the tungsten had to be inside an inert atmosphere or it would destroy itself. That answers my question. Thanks guys.

(Not self-closing my thread, continue discussion at will. Maybe something interesting will come up?)

AC is used in some cases also on TIG brazing. Like when brazing steel with aluminium bronze. Maybe the less concentrated AC arc would be also benefit when you are trying to braze, not weld things.

this is true, but, when I have done it, you use hi-freq. Which, obviously, a buzz box doesnt have, unless you buy an add on hi-freq box. I have one of those, it cost me about $1500- which I think would be more than the OP could just buy a used tig welder for.

this is true, but, when I have done it, you use hi-freq. Which, obviously, a buzz box doesnt have, unless you buy an add on hi-freq box. I have one of those, it cost me about $1500- which I think would be more than the OP could just buy a used tig welder for.
I have access to mig and Tig welders at work, so it's no issue. I was just curious if using a buzzbox was a possibility.

Back