What's new
What's new

TIG electrode protrusion

rayman

Cast Iron
I generally don't let the electrode much out be base of the pencil point for what I weld at work. On the rencent This Old House Project, they went to the fab shop where they were making the bronze (or brass) banisters for the interior staircase. They showed the welder with his electrode protruding the cup by more than 1/2". It seemed strange to me. Anybody weld the same way? IMHO, even doing a 90 deg. inside filet doesn't require such protrusion.

Ive HEARD, that you can stick the tungsten out about as far as the diameter of the gas cup. I do have a gas cup at work that allows stickout of up to 1.25", its a 1-1.25" cup (very large). This large cup is typically for stainless and Ti where good gas coverage is essential.

NK

yes the big diameter gas cups are actually called gas lenses..

they allow you (with the proper gas coverage)
stick the tungeston out real far...

dont get spatter in the gas screens...

...zap!

I asked this question on another forum when I first got my TIG and received several responses that in summary said you could go as far you want until the electrode begins to show damage from use - which for practical purposes can be up to 1/2" on 1/8" and smaller electrodes. I have experienced more problems occurring from insufficient time in allowing shielding gas to flow in the post-weld interval than from sticking the electrode out too far. I also noticed that when I went to work at my current employer, the weldors are using 1/8" electrodes with about 1/2" stickout and getting good results. In any case, you need to have enough room to see the weld puddle.

Bottom line is you have to get the arc where it needs to go...or you can't weld there!...but that said, I think it's better practice of economy keeping the tungsten as close to the cup as is practical whenever possible.

Back