What's new
What's new

tonnage to punch red hot steel?

tomjelly

Stainless
Blacksmithing application, guy wants to punch 3/4" holes in 1" cherry red steel with a c frame hydraulic punch rather than a power hammer. Is there a chart or rule of thumb for required tonnage when punching hot?

A useful rule of thumb is that structural steel (low carbon, low alloy) at 800 degrees C (cherry red) has 1/10 the strength of steel at room temperature. Punch tonnage required is proportional to strength, so take any handy calculator and adjust the result accordingly.

I haven't run it by him yet but I wonder if it would be possible to use a pointed punch to reduce the tonnage required further. As long as its used with a stripper I would think it would work, no?

It is relatively easy - not fast - to punch an oval hole for a wood handle in a hammer head made of good carbon steel with a flat faced punch using a hand powered hammer. It is considerably easier, and faster, with the help of a striker using a sledge hammer. A pointed punch will expand the steel where as a flat punch will remove a plug of steel. I confess to having no knowledge of presses, hydraulic or mechanical, so I cannot comment on power required. My guess is that the speed of the punching operation may be more important then the power applied in order to get the job done before the steel cools too much.

Bob
WB8NQW
The Eagle's Anvil

.750 ID thru 1.000 thickness...and you're not concerned about the thickness vs. diameter?

With cold metal it would be an issue--punching it hot should compensate for the smaller hole but I would expect some
distortion. (For those not in the know normal procedure when punching holes is to keep the diameter of the hole equal
to or larger than the material thickness.)

Back