What's new
What's new

Safe use of ancient Victor regulators?

PeteM

Diamond
I recently picked up a set of regulaters marked "Victor Welding Equipment .. San Francisco." They're marked SR-95 and SR-96 and are fairly small but nicely made. The look to be in excellent condition, but apparently Victor moved out of San Francisco in the 60's. So, these are 50 or more years old.

What are the chances these are still good (again, they look never to have been abused and the regulator screws were properly released during however many years of storage before they found me)? Anything I should do or consider before trying to hook them up?

More to the point, would they be a good alternative or backup to the more cheaply built regulators on a small Harris Port-a-torch??

I just sent my torches and regulators to be serviced. They hadn't been used in many years. The o-rings were all bad, etc. They checked out and cleaned up a large torch with cutting attachment, small torch with cutting attachment, 3 regulators, and replaced o-rings in welding tips for less than $100. Of the 3 regulators, only one needed work. The crystal was cracked and the indicator needle could fall off. I don't know if there were other issues. That was $22.

Find a place that will service them in-house. The first place I talked to sent them out for a much higher minimum rate. The place I used has a service man come by once a week.

Back