What's new
What's new

Ultimate 1/2 hydraulic shear?

Spud

Diamond
What brand/s and models would you all consider to be the ultimate 1/2" capacity hydraulic shear? What Geka is to ironworkers or Deckel/Mikron is to manual mills or the HLVH is to toolroom lathes in its class.

Do the Germans,Swiss,Scandinavians make any?

The shear in the welding lab at the MATC (Milwaukee Area Tech College) campus I attended is Accushear.

Pacific, Niagara and Cincinatti all made good hydraulic shears. Accurshear also are Ok. I have an Adira GSH 1340 at the moment, I remember when they first showed up in the USA, I thought they were a second rate machine, but after a while, seeing them stand up to the abuse of fab shops, my opinion changed. My criticism of them is the shoddy quality of the guards and lousy quality of the hardware used. The basic machines are well designed and engineered. Its a shame to fall down on easily corrected stuff. Martin

The thing about shears is that most 1/2" shears are built to be bullet proof, so gorillas can run 1/2" plate thru them every day for decades, loading with a forklift or a crane. So they are seldom elegant, user friendly, and state of the art.
No more Niagaras, but you can still buy a brand new Cinncinnati. A 12' x 1/4" mechanical is around a hundred and a quarter- $125,000. A 1/2" hydraulic, new, is probably twice that. Built to last, but not in the category with a Deckel.

Amada makes very nice, high tech but durable shears, but I am pretty sure they top out at 1/4" capacity.
Warcom, in Brescia, makes some nice looking machines- Guillotine shears - Prima Product Catalog
and I am sure there are german and scandinavian machines as well- but I would guess at pricing north of the Cinncinnati- that is, a 10' by 1/2" is probably well over $200k.

If you look on euro used machinery sites, though, you see a lot of Amada and Adira machines.
Check here- to see some nicer machines than you often see in the states.
Guillotine Shears (Hydraulic)
Used Shears, Universal Punching machines, Cutting-to-length machines & Clitting lines, Lockformers & Metal band sawing machines machinery, second hand Shears, Universal Punching machines, Cutting-to-length machines & Clitting lines, Lockformers & Metal band sawing machines - APT International

LVD, which owns Strippit, makes some decent looking machines, popular in Europe.
MVS Shears | Shearing machines | LVD Group

bunch of used german machines here.
▷ Plate shears - hydr. 5-7mm plate thickness Buy used on Machineseeker.com

I have a Wysong 1/4" shear and have used Cincinnati and Niagara shears up to 1 1/4" x 10'. I really like how a used Wysong 1/2" shear is built, but I have never used one.

Like said, once you get to 1/2", they are designed to withstand 8 x 20 sheets loaded and sheared all day. The squaring arms are massive and solid.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

The thing about shears is that most 1/2" shears are built to be bullet proof, so gorillas can run 1/2" plate thru them every day for decades, loading with a forklift or a crane. So they are seldom elegant, user friendly, and state of the art.
No more Niagaras, but you can still buy a brand new Cinncinnati. A 12' x 1/4" mechanical is around a hundred and a quarter- $125,000. A 1/2" hydraulic, new, is probably twice that. Built to last, but not in the category with a Deckel.

Amada makes very nice, high tech but durable shears, but I am pretty sure they top out at 1/4" capacity.
Warcom, in Brescia, makes some nice looking machines- Guillotine shears - Prima Product Catalog
and I am sure there are german and scandinavian machines as well- but I would guess at pricing north of the Cinncinnati- that is, a 10' by 1/2" is probably well over $200k.

If you look on euro used machinery sites, though, you see a lot of Amada and Adira machines.
Check here- to see some nicer machines than you often see in the states.
Guillotine Shears (Hydraulic)
Used Shears, Universal Punching machines, Cutting-to-length machines & Clitting lines, Lockformers & Metal band sawing machines machinery, second hand Shears, Universal Punching machines, Cutting-to-length machines & Clitting lines, Lockformers & Metal band sawing machines - APT International

LVD, which owns Strippit, makes some decent looking machines, popular in Europe.
MVS Shears | Shearing machines | LVD Group

bunch of used german machines here.
▷ Plate shears - hydr. 5-7mm plate thickness Buy used on Machineseeker.com

I was expecting someone to mention a Germanic or Scandinavian brand as the Roundo of shears.

Back