What's new
What's new

Unibit Stepbit conspiracy theory

asawelding

Plastic
So I'm pretty sure now that in some dimly lit conference room, thick with cigar smoke, there are a group of Billionaire tool manufacturers laughing at the ridiculous price tag they throw on multi-size sheet metal step drills. I just paid $60 bucks for a 3/16" - 1" bit..... And it appears they have all agreed never to manufacture them in carbide, because if the bit would stay sharp for a little while, then they wouldn't be able to sell you a new HSS one for $60 when your buddy roasts your bit trying to drill a dry hole through 3/8" 304 Stainless... End rant1FAH2_AS01.JPG

Surface speed does have meaning.

I defy anyone to make a step bit for less than the selling price (given the 100% retail mark up) ;-)

coolant and cutting compounds go a long way.

Do you need a burnt up 1/8th to 1/2 to complete your set?

Lol CalG, no thanks, I have a full set, burnt up, twice over, though the problem is undereducated workers, which just ends up being my fault also:)

Drilling through anything other than sheet metal (like they do on American Chopper) is asking for failure.

Gotta be the easiest-to-sharpen bit in the world, though, if you don't let it get too far gone.

Don't know if "conehead drills" are still available. Basically a little-to-big smooth taper. A step-drill with a ramp instead of steps.

Chip

For the life of me I can never figure out when to use one.

I have three of them that I use for Hoffman control boxes. O do keep the RPMs down, and use a little oil.

If you hand one to a Hispanic maintenance man they will normally come back "needing sharpening".

Mine are locked in my toolbox for this very reason.^^^^^^^

Something tells me that a carbide step drill would soon have chunks missing from the cutting edges.

Carbide never does well unless the work and the drill (or the insert,etc.) are rigidly supported.

So I'm pretty sure now that in some dimly lit conference room, thick with cigar smoke, there are a group of Billionaire tool manufacturers laughing at the ridiculous price tag they throw on multi-size sheet metal step drills.

Actually, they're laughing at the dip-shits that lend their step bit to their clueless friends!

70155b00-03b4-4c98-8769-f53ae55bc085_zps8lxxl2gt.jpg

Rex

I find the problem is drilling SS with them as the design of the bit tends to work harden the SS. If you drill a stainless electronics enclosure (Hoffman) with one they will drill one hole before sharpening; oil helps and heavy pressure.

Carbide might help in a super-tough grade as they mostly get burnt right about the time you are getting to the diameter you want.

Maybe using one in a Cole drill would help.

I agree, they are ridiculously priced....where's the competition?

It annoyed me enough that I made one once. Worked out ok, but not great. you have to put clearance on each step, which did, but I didn't put enough so cutting action was ok but not great.

Its not like you are getting Guhring quality or something, you'd think the hardware store ones would be $3.99.

Last edited:
I find the problem is drilling SS with them as the design of the bit tends to work harden the SS. If you drill a stainless electronics enclosure (Hoffman) with one they will drill one hole before sharpening; oil helps and heavy pressure.

I've never used a S.S. Hoffman, only the standard.

And yes, drilling a starter hole helps tremendously.

So I'm pretty sure now that in some dimly lit conference room, thick with cigar smoke, there are a group of Billionaire tool manufacturers laughing at the ridiculous price tag they throw on multi-size sheet metal step drills. I just paid $60 bucks for a 3/16" - 1" bit..... And it appears they have all agreed never to manufacture them in carbide, because if the bit would stay sharp for a little while, then they wouldn't be able to sell you a new HSS one for $60 when your buddy roasts your bit trying to drill a dry hole through 3/8" 304 Stainless... End rantView attachment 138534
if you want a 3/8" hole then use the 3/8" unibit which is much cheaper. you pay a lot more for the extra diameter you are not using

<Snip>

If you hand one to a Hispanic maintenance man they will normally come back "needing sharpening".

<Snip>

Probably should just let it pass, but.... Nothing like racist remarks to clarify things and help in World harmony. No "Chicom" yet in this thread?

Denis

I find them fine in stainless, even starting the hole, but yeah i do often adjust cutting speed as i get to the larger diameters. I find the dead cheap ones crap, but any decent branded ones work well and last more than long enough. I use them a lot for electronic enclosures in everything from plastics - stainless 316. I also often need to enlarge holes (recent job was replacing some damaged E stops, new ones needed a bigger hole) They pic up on existing punched holes real well and still make a lovely round hole in any thickness steel right upto the step height.

Most people I've seen trying to use them in a hand drill run the thing as fast as the drill can go and pretty much friction cut their way through...

Price for countersinks is a little nuts too for what they are :(

Back