What's new
What's new

Need oval DOM

Perk

Cast Iron
I need 2” oval DOM tubing in 5 foot lengths, .093 minimum wall thickness. How could I get this shape using round DOM? Would it be better to buy as oval? I would imagine it’s more expensive and this could turn into a repeat job with fairly large quantities.

Drag race guys use some of this for dragster frames, though not necessarily that big. There is a company in Indianapolis that makes it.

More likely to be seamless 4130.

This is less "oval" than a little "pointy" on both ends.

Then there is aircraft streamline tube, always thin wall and very expensive.

John

I have made 3 foot lengths of 1.125 and 1.25 dia round 4130 into oval by squeezing it between 2 sinple plates in an arbor press, can you do that? I include stops in the fixture, so I can squeeze one end tighter than the other.

I also agree on making your own with the help of a press brake it should be easy. Maybe a local sheetmetal shop can help you out...Bob

Perk
The operative word(s) is quantity.
Five feet is not exactly a long length.
I presume that you do not wish to beat up the tube.

Suggest you rig a couple of say 6&1/2 ft wedges, one each with just under the desired inside radius of the oval.

Then while squeezing the tube's flanks, ram the wedges home. They can be rigged to work push-pull. The operation may take on the order of 5-8 seconds.

Hth Ag

Check with Dillsburg Aeroplane Works in Pennsylvania...hope I spelled that right. They're known for supplying chrome-moly tubing to people who build experimental aircraft, motorcycle frames, etc. Not sure if they can help, but it's worth a try....

Back