Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Using incorrect Gooseneck punch, Press Brake

Along with a new Press Brake, I ordered a Gooseneck punch, I told the guy at R.K. ( The company that makes the dies ) not the press brake manufacturer, that I want a Gooseneck punch that will bend 1/4" material.
    He told me that I would be okay with a G-9 die, doing a little research... ( Looking at their brochure )it says the die is rated for 9 ga. material, when I questioned him on it, he said not to worry.

So my question is: Do any of you press brake operators use a G-9 die to bend this... In his defense,I did tell him that this is not something I will be doing all the time, usually it will be 10 ga. or less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More formally knowledgeable people should chime in here but I believe the bottom die and the overall rating of the press vs the length of your bend are what matters, not so much the upper die.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They recommend a 3mm punch tip radius for 1/4” material. If the punch has that you should be ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's what size we had at VBS Dave.

Glad to hear you got a press brake!

I need to get ahold of you, I need some shearing done.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Snowman, I wont have the new brake until the beginning of the year... it seemed to me that we used to do 1/4" with that punch, I just don't know what punch it was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keep the width of the bottom v die as wide as you can run and air bending you should be fine.
    Regards

7. Likes Blacktooth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Snowman, I wont have the new brake until the beginning of the year... it seemed to me that we used to do 1/4" with that punch, I just don't know what punch it was.
    Yup...for a full length bend it had to be switched to the 3" die, but that wasn't the fault of the punch.

Generally the punch was changed for 3/8" and up.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is the inside of your bend cosmetic? i.e. does it need to look really purdy? If no, then that punch will be fine.

More important is your die. The V should be 6 to 10 times wider than the thickness of your material, with wider being better.

Source: setup and programing CNC press brakes before I became a tool & die maker

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Typically, The die that I will use on a given material will be 8x material thickness.

I don't understand why you asked about what the inside radius will look like, I assume the gooseneck will show more witness marking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Typically, The die that I will use on a given material will be 8x material thickness.

I don't understand why you asked about what the inside radius will look like, I assume the gooseneck will show more witness marking.
    It's just cosmetic issues. As you know, the punch nose radius is one of the determining factors in the radius of the bend, as well as the witness marks.

It sounds like you got exactly what you need for probably 99% of your work. It would take a REALLY picky customer to start pointing out bend radius.

Think about a commercial kitchen, doing inside corner pieces out of stainless or something.

It's within your capabilities, but likely not the average customers requirements.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are many things that go into selecting a correct punch for which material. The biggest thing to keep in mind is how much tonnage the punch is capable of holding. If you exceed that, that's a major problem then die radius or angle. Also don't push the die past it's limit, so air bending is always recommended.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk