What's new
What's new

W.F. Wells twin post band saw hyd lift problem

mikesrp

Plastic
Hello, I just bought a W.F. Wells twin post saw. I'm not sure of the model, I can't find any ID plates on it. It's either a 9x16 or 9x18. It's pretty old but in decent shape but it has been sitting a long time. The guy I bought it from said it operated fine when they last used it about 15 years ago. I wired it up to 220 3ph and the saw ran fine after messing with the variable speed adjustment.

The problem I have is with the hyd lift. There are two turning knob type valves that operate the lift. I assume one lifts the saw and the other controls the speed of the drop. They are both on the left side of the base with one pointing out the front of the saw (in line with the material) and the other pointing out the side.

I filled the pump with hyd fluid and turned it on and I don't seem to be getting any pressure. I can unscrew either of those valves clear out and nothing comes out. The pump sounds like it is running ok. The plumbing and wiring seem to be in order. I don't see any fluid leaking from anywhere.

I was hoping someone familiar with operating or maintaining these saws would see this and know what to look for.

Thanks, Mike

If it's the saw I think it is I have the same saw. They changed the plumbing over the years, but check to see if it has a valve in the base near the cylinder piston rod on the idler end. It has a round top with some pointers cast in it about 2" dia. These saws are semi-auto, and that valve is tripped by a pawl on the cylinder rod. If it is out of postition the saw won't raise.

Actually , as above calling Wells support , can be helpfull as there are variations , especially like mentioned in the plumbing / controls.

As far as do it yourself , uderstanding how it is supposed to function in the first place , is a parrallel study to just basic elimination of likely causes of your trouble .

Some of which had all-ready been covered ,
motor turning ?
pump as well ?
in the right direction ?
valves ? intended opening of same ?
crack open a line (check for flow /pressure ?
etc. ect.

M1M

Thanks for the replies guys, I haven't had much time to look back into it yet.

Steve, I don't have a pawl on the cylinder rod. There is a piece of angle that gets flipped up when the saw comes all the way down. There is nothing connected to it though. I'll have to look through some images of these saws and maybe I can figure out how it's supposed to be. There seems to be alot of them out there.

Mike

Back