What's new
What's new

Water cooled power cable for air cooled torch?

JustSteve

Plastic
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could help me with this. I've got an extra superflex power cable for my 2 series 20 water cooled torch and I have a 2 series 9F air cooled torch with no power cable. The fitting on the torch side of the cable is a 1/4" female (for a 20 water cooled torch) and the fitting on my 9F air cooled torch is a 3/8" female. So my question is; Is it possible to adapt this extra cable I have to work with a 9 air cooled torch and other than fitting size whats the difference between an air and water cooled power cable? I've only used and owned water cooled in the past.

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• torch.jpg
    torch.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 214
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could help me with this. I've got an extra superflex power cable for my 2 series 20 water cooled torch and I have a 2 series 9F air cooled torch with no power cable. The fitting on the torch side of the cable is a 1/4" female (for a 20 water cooled torch) and the fitting on my 9F air cooled torch is a 3/8" female. So my question is; Is it possible to adapt this extra cable I have to work with a 9 air cooled torch and other than fitting size whats the difference between an air and water cooled power cable? I've only used and owned water cooled in the past.

Thanks,
Steve

No. An air cooled torch cable is big enough to handle the rated amps on the torch. Water cooled torch has a power lead that is much too small to handle the amp rating of the torch. The only way it survives is the water flowing around the wire takes the heat away. The water needs to flow, You need a feed and return, how you going to do that with an air cooled torch?

No. An air cooled torch cable is big enough to handle the rated amps on the torch. Water cooled torch has a power lead that is much too small to handle the amp rating of the torch. The only way it survives is the water flowing around the wire takes the heat away. The water needs to flow, You need a feed and return, how you going to do that with an air cooled torch?

Thank you, that makes sense. I guess I was just thinking about the heat in the torch and not about the cable, but now I think I understand. In an air cooled torch uses the gas to cool cable not water, since air/gas does not cool as well the air torch cable is larger as to not generate as much heat to begin with. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Buy your self a ck flex lock torch to use with it, return tube + gas tube can be anything, its a truly lovely setup!

Thanks. I already have a 20 flex and love it, I have this 9 flex also but no air cooled power cable for it. Thats why I was hoping to use this extra watercooled i have for it, but now I understand why it is not possible. I was just hoping to make another rig with spare parts. Instead I think I will keep an eye out for another return and gas line, couple them together then Ill have a 50' superflex water cooled rig. Thanks for your quick responses guys, much appreciated!
Steve

Back