What's new
What's new

MIG welding cast iron exhaust manifold.

aametalmaster

Diamond
You guys know how hard it is sometime to weld an old junky exhaust manifold? I have done hundreds of them over the last 34 years most of them stick with Ni rod and some brazed. Some worked well some didn't. So move ahead 30 years i picked up some Crown Alloys .035 44-30 mig wire for cast iron. Its used with Argon and works great. This manifold on my Geo Metro had a crack and it has been hissing for 4 months or so. I drove the car around to warm it up since i wasn't planning to remove it and hit the crack with a die grinder and a stone. Then i dabbed the mig wire in the clean area and triggered it right up the crack. It took about 30 seconds and sealed the crack right up. I let the car run for a few minutes and then let it cool. So far so good. The 2# spool is 75 bucks and i wanted to try it out for a test...Bob

http://www.crownalloys.com/TechSheet/CAST_IRON_ROYAL_44-30_w_New_Warning.pdf

Attachments

• projects 003.jpg
    projects 003.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 3,198
  • projects 005.jpg
    projects 005.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 3,658
Yup did a lot of mig brazing 3-4 years ago. Bought 40 lbs of sil bronze wire off ebay cheap and used it for welding automotive sheetmetal. Its more popular in England than here. Welded brass wear strips 30 years ago in my dads shop. Just need some wire and Argon gas...Bob

Back