What's new
What's new

Single PHz welder recommendations

8D-132

Cast Iron
I have a feeling that this can be a rather personnel issue.
I have been used to using several 600 amp 3phz machines Hobart and Miller for heavy work and am moving those into my new shop. to be run with a Gen set at a later date.
We had a small Hobart 200 amp mig 3 PHz that never worked like we wanted.
My question is my new current shop is single PHz.
What would you guys recommend for a 200-300amp 1PHz welder not a toy but something that I would be able to do some limited arc air and decent mig welding for 3/8" plate and smaller
I have also looked at the Lincoln 300 amp AC/DC Squarewaves but never messed with them.

By your post you want a descent 2-300A Mig and something that can do "limited" arcair, I really think to get effective results you are going to want two different machines to do those tasks. As I understand it arcair is typically done with a CC machine whereas mig is done with either a purpose built CV machine or a CC machine with a spendy voltage-sensing feeder (which I haven't heard stellar things about, but have limited time on). Also, specifying a budget couldn't hurt.

For the Mig machine my vote is for an Esab/Ltec Migmaster. I have a 251 which people seem to love (I love mine) or hate but the 250 is a proven platform thats been around for some time.

For the arcair, depending on how big you want to go I almost think you'd be better off getting your genset up and running and using one of your bigger machines. Most machines in the range you're looking at have limited duty cycles and arcair is a pretty high-current application from what I've seen.

Find an older Miller Shopmaster 300. It's a square wave power supply that you can hook a suitcase feeder, TIG with a high freq box, etc. I love mine and would never sell it.

I was wondering if one would need two machines but I was trying to conserve space if possible. But from what you saying I should find an old 300 amp DC stick machine for arc air
I am looking at used machines up to the $2,000 range.
Stuart I will look into the Miller 300, I like Miller equipment but trying to keep an open mind if there is better? so will also look at the Esab.

Miller XMT 304 or Powcon 400SM or 300 CC and CV excellent stick and mig,
$1200 + - used. Powcons's seem to work just as good, they just aren't Blue and can be found for $600 sometimes.

Forget about the low power air arc. You will just be frustrated.

Instead get a plasma. I like my Hypertherm. With a little practice you will be able to do a nicer job than an air arc with much more control and without all the noise. Plus you won't use your acetylene cutting head nearly as much, as the plasma does a much nicer job within its thickness range.

The Miller Shopmaster 300 must have been a pretty good machine no complaints from anyone and there are very few available also, I will have to be on the ball to find one. It would fit nicely with the rest of my equipment. but still trying to keep an open mind here.
No real complaints about the Esab/Ltec Migmaster 251 ether other than some people thought the older ones were better?

For MIG I would get a Miller 252, 50AMP single phase. Great machines. Just replaced our two after 5 yrs of use. Both used machines sold in 4 days and we got 79.5% return on them. They cost less than $4 per month in the end and both machines made us over $1M in finished parts. Sold like they did since they were Miller units. (and well cared for) We put in two new 350P 3ph welders, wow nice machines.

Good luck.

Mark

The Millermatic 252 seems like a pretty condensed machine along the lines of the Esab.
ether would be good for the available space I have left to put it. and be able to move the whole unit around the shop if needed
How are these little guys for spatter around the weld?

The Millermatic 252 seems like a pretty condensed machine along the lines of the Esab.
ether would be good for the available space I have left to put it. and be able to move the whole unit around the shop if needed
How are these little guys for spatter around the weld?

Very clean with the right gas and settings. We used them for short production runs of 20-40 parts that took 30-45 min each in welding. Cant spend allot of t$me doing post weld cleaning and did not have to.

Can't say enough about the Miller machines.

Mark

I've always been a True Blue Guy. But put a Lincoln 250 amp machine and a Miller 250 amp machine on a scale. The Lincoln will be a hell of a lot heavier.(lots more copper) I know that doesn't necessarily mean it's a better welder, but the Lincoln under rates their machines. My brother who works for a local welding supply house, let me in on some info about Lincoln machines. Their 250 machine will actually put out 300 amps. Also their 200 amp machine is closer to 250. If I was burning a little heavier material, the extra juice and duty cycle of the Lincon would be nice. I'd say the Lincoln would be more bang for the buck.

+1 for the Miller 252. I've been running mine for 5 years (ish)... The thing is amazing for the money. I love it.

If you can find a 350p, you'll be even happier. That machine is awesome.

I checked into ESAB welders and there are no dealers who sell them, they can get parts though but even that seemed limited.
I can get a Miller anywhere. Unless I found a ESAB really cheap or happened upon a older Miller 300 shopmaster which seems impossible. It looks like I am heading for a Miller 252
Does anyone have anything to say about Lincoln?

I checked into ESAB welders and there are no dealers who sell them, they can get parts though but even that seemed limited.
I can get a Miller anywhere. Unless I found a ESAB really cheap or happened upon a older Miller 300 shopmaster which seems impossible. It looks like I am heading for a Miller 252
Does anyone have anything to say about Lincoln?

You won't go wrong with a 252. I think you'll love it.

Many of the industrial-duty Millers will run at full-snot on single-phase with a little internal work... so if your old-faithful machines are preferred, you're not out-of-luck. The CP's are rated at 100% duty cycle, and will exceed that easily if necessity dictates. The SRH's run nicely on single, too.

Back