What's new
What's new

welding 304 stainless

Hello welders! I have a problem with the finish on thiw material with TIG welding.Maybe the time I have no trainig with my equipment,send me to watch and try to make.Lets see..I just tried to weld with my TIG 2 piece of 304 stainlees and my weld its like carbon...black and ugly.I have in my store the imeria 220 tig.The thikness of steel is 4 mm.the gas is 100% argon the tungsten is 2 mm.The cup size is 7.. Any ideas?

Make sure the weld surfaces are clean, flow should be about 10 scfm and amperage set at around 125. Electrode stickout should be about half the diameter of the cup.

usually black means you are not getting argon in the weld zone. Check all the connections, to make sure no leaks from the argon tank to the torch. Make sure you dont have a fan or wind blowing the argon away from the weld zone. We set the flow at least at 15 CFH, often as high as 30.

Also, check polarity. You want straight polarity- electrode negative. this means the ground clamp is on the Plus connector of the welding machine, and torch is on the Negative connector.

those two things are the problem nine times out of ten.

usually black means you are not getting argon in the weld zone. Check all the connections, to make sure no leaks from the argon tank to the torch. Make sure you dont have a fan or wind blowing the argon away from the weld zone. We set the flow at least at 15 CFH, often as high as 30.

Also, check polarity. You want straight polarity- electrode negative. this means the ground clamp is on the Plus connector of the welding machine, and torch is on the Negative connector.

those two things are the problem nine times out of ten.

Lets see...I hope to done with this!

If all of your gas lines and setup are tight, get a gas lens kit. The bigger the better.

yes but the 4 mm thikness of steel with a 2 mm tungsten..I dont know how it can help me with that//more amps??In my previus experiamentals the results are the same as the beginning..black and ugly..maybe is the machines fault..I dont know..I have tried everything...

In my experience only lack of argon (shielding gas) or impurities in the material can cause dark and uneven welds, my suggestion clean the material well with a new grinding wheel that's steel free then clean it with denatured alcohol and clean the filler rods as well, and most importantly do your welding indoors with low air flow and set you shielding gas properly, too much can also cause dark welds.

A gas lens helps with argon coverage, and only on the weld side. PyrexLD2-1.jpggas lens.jpg
Can you get a picture of your part? Is the grey/black on the weld side of the part or the back side?

ΓΡΕΖΕΡΜΑΝ;3007137 said:
yes but the 4 mm thikness of steel with a 2 mm tungsten..I dont know how it can help me with that//more amps??In my previus experiamentals the results are the same as the beginning..black and ugly..maybe is the machines fault..I dont know..I have tried everything...

TIG, especially SS TIG, isn't something one get's proficient at in an hour or two-especially without
any hands-on instruction.
You need to learn to crawl.....before trying to walk.
IOW---from my #2 post ---"Welding tips and tricks dot com, welding web--those sites will give you the basics of SS TIG--since you admit--you don't have any training, etc."

From your questions and problems it's obvious that you don't have the basics of TIG machine setup
or welding techniques--so back to the basics--start off in the flat position on mild steel.

FWIW--your post is no different than a good many others which arise, every week on welding forums from
beginners who can't be bothered to take the time/effort to study decent training videos and threads, then
practice what is shown.....BECUZ......some idiot on YouTube makes TIG weld look 'so easy'.

Back