What's new
What's new

welding iron pipe

rimcanyon

Diamond
I made a "T"-shaped rebar bender by welding a short section of 3/4" steel pipe to a 3/4" pipe handle (the short piece had an inner 1/2" pipe sleeve, welded at each end to the 3/4", with a 1/2" slot along one side).

The weld broke after about three months and several hundred rebar bends. The original weld was TIG-welded. I made a quick repair using an oxy-acetylene torch, melting the broken weld back together but not using any rod, and it lasted one day before it broke again! I used a big tip and a lot of heat to get the weld done quick. The flame was just a bit excess acetylene, the way I normally weld, but something went wrong. Any ideas?

-Dave

I would say you burned the parent metal. When forge welding if you get it too hot it will just crumble. Maybe with the big tip and all that heat it just got too hot. Anyway, tig is hard to beat quality wise.

Even with good welds the T joint makes a stress riser. Slit the handle and insert flat plate wider than the pipe for a gusset.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">
| |
| |
| -| | - |
| | | |
----------------
________________ </pre>[/QUOTE]

don't forget that once a crack has formed you can't just weld back over it. you have to drill stop it and grind the crack out before rewelding.

Back