What's new
What's new

Welding Hood recommendation

AndyF

Stainless
Any recommendations for a replacement hood? I've used Miller's and been happy, but am seeing a lot of good reviews for the Lincoln Viking w/4C lens. I'm open to anything. I won't use it a lot, but like to see as well as possible when I do. A $400 Speedglas is probably out of my price range without a real sales push, but I don't mind ~$200 if it will work well and be comfortable.

Use will be primarily MIG with a little TIG, stick and maybe some grinding, although a faceshield tends to work better for me for grinding. Most of the time I'll be sitting or standing adjacent to the work. Not much will involve crawling under things.

Just bought one of these Miller Helmets: Miller Classic Series Auto Darkening Welding Helmet Black Variable Shade Part#251292 | Welders Supply Company Beloit-Big Bend-Burlington Wisconsin and Rockford, Illinois

Price was right at $72 free shipping. I wanted just a straight plain AD helmet that wouldn't fry my eyes. I was pleased with the delivery time and the helmet came with 5 extra cover-plates and 2 for inside. I just recieved it so can't report how well it performs. However, I was surprised how thin and lightweight it is and the controls seem easy to use. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Bob

If you've never tried one, I highly suggest a non auto darken helmet with a 5x4 gold lens. I'll never use an auto darken again for the rest of my welding days. Also super cheap, helmet and lens can be had for less than $50.

This gives an idea of what to expect
TIG welding through the lens - YouTube

I'm an Optrel junkie - the Vegaview 2.5 would fit your price range, I love my e684. The Vegaview has the benefit of a ridiculously low passive shade - 2.5.

The fixed shade with a gold lens is something everyone should have, at the very least as a backup. I'll switch out to my shade 14 fiber metal bucket if I'm doing long MIG/stick runs, where I'm not constantly lifting my hood.

Back