What's new
What's new

Welding Inconel 625 - How hard is it?

snowman

Diamond
I want to make something out of inconel...basically just a little bucket, 4ish" in diameter, 6"ish tall.

I know it has to be ridiculously clean, preheated, post heated, and that the weld pool doesn't really get smooth and pretty like a stainless weld does...more like aluminum with it's oxide layer.

Is there anything else that is of great importance?

Nothing life critical.

I want to make something out of inconel...basically just a little bucket, 4ish" in diameter, 6"ish tall.

I know it has to be ridiculously clean, preheated, post heated, and that the weld pool doesn't really get smooth and pretty like a stainless weld does...more like aluminum with it's oxide layer.

Is there anything else that is of great importance?

Nothing life critical.

Preheat, post heat, no, clean, yes, weld with TIG, Inconel 625 rod. welds a lot like stainless. I have made lots of headers out of it. all in all it is dead easy to weld.

Critical as in safety, no. Critical as in needs to maintain strength and reduced oxidation at elevated temperature, yes.

It's just a holder for a crucible in a foundry furnace (1 lb silver maximum). Failure wouldn't be injurious. I'll be able to get away with steel for a few runs just to prove concept...if it works good, I'll use inconel. If it works great, I'll make it out of platinum and get rid of the actual crucible.

I've tig welded quite a bit of it. Didn't use pre-heat, and it was heavy stuff. You have to be careful how you end you weld, ease off the heat slowly and roll the puddle off to the side, don't end it dead center and by taking your foot right off the pedal or the chances for it to want to crack go way up.
The puddle looks kinda dirty with a little black crust that floats around the edges.

Large Gas lens and good preclean help, as does a back purge if the joint would benefit from it.

Back