What's new
What's new

Use of off hand in standard stinger welding

msjanket

Plastic
I was talking with a couple of my garage buddies yesterday and one said he held, actually held!, the electrode with his off hand to steady the electrode. I asked him about getting shocked, etc, but he said this was not a problem. Is this safe and recommended technique?

Mike

Many guys do that to steady it. Usualy just to get the arc started. It allows you to put a bit more pressure to break the flux on the end of the rod.

Problem is the electrode gets very hot very quick. You shouldn't get a shock though. Unless you have no gloves on and your arm is also touching the base metal that you have your ground on.

Using two hands while welding is kinda considered rookie, but certain times warrants two hand work in awkard positions. As far as getting shocked by holding the rod, that wont happen. When it will happen is while laying of standing on a wet floor or having to weld in the rain. Those are big no, no's. But when a piece of machinary that gross's 200.00 an hour is down, the owner is willing to pay your price to weld in the rain. The shock isn't bad, about like a electric fence
Chris

This is in reference to being shocked :eek:
I worked as a millwright in Vicksburg, MS at one time, Anderson Tully Corp.
The mill frame was steel so there was about a 6' ground bolted to the frame, drag one just one lead anywhere. Steam carriage drives, it was a sawmill. HOT :cool: ! Soaking with sweat one time, I laid down to get under a roll case, had diamond plate under it. Struck the first arc, BOYS! It really lit me up. Boss man say what's wrong? I said, electrocuted and some other things :eek: He ain't believing, he's a fat man and soaking wet like me. HE tried it :D
Sounded like someone threw a hammer up under that roll case as he tried to come out. Skinned off just about every high spot on him. :D
Just in case jkilroy reads this, it was mill D on the Yazoo Canal.

I have, and still occasionally do, held the electrode with one hand. Yes, it was to get the arc started and steadied. Once it is steadied you can simply move your hand out of the way altogether or, what I do, add it to the hand holding the stinger. More support = more control= better bead...But that is just me.
As for electrocution, sweating is what gets me shocked every single time. Sweating through a long sleeve shirt and then rest your arm on the material being welded. I am between the ground clamp and the arc. POW. Wake you up real quick. Always need to pay attention, esp. in the summer.

Nylon panties or panty hose will give you "tingles" when welding. I don't know this for a fact :D but have been told by women welders.

Seriously, when I went through welding school back in the 70's my instructor was adamant about 2 hands on the stinger, elbows up and out. Free relaxed movement with steady breathing and don't tense up. Tucking your elbows in and "bracing" off something makes a great first few inches then you are in a bind for the rest of the rod.

SCOTT (fabricator - wanabee machinist)

Usually if Im holding with the other hand Im not relaxed for some reason. Get yourself in a good position to weld in the first place. Your steadiness and performance with improve greatly. ;)

Back