What's new
What's new

welding titanium 1" tube frame - purge chamber or not?

prefetch

Plastic
hi guys,

i've done some steel and fair amount of aluminum tig welding, and i've got a couple of projects coming up that are titanium.

i'm not sure if i should get one of those inflatable purge chambers, or build my own out of lexan - or just get a trailing shield and some tape and purge the pipe, tape it off and use the trailing shield.

what have you guys used? what do you think is easiest to deal with?

Think you could do that with just a inner purge + ultra large gas lens. IMHO chambers and that are best avoided if you can, lots of cost + lots of time slowing everything down.

If you go with the chamber - you need to purge until you have used 5X the volume of the chamber in purge gas to get the oxygen out. The old timers (WWII vintage) would use a bare light bulb filament to ensure the oxygen was gone. If the filament would stay lite, then the oxygen was low enough to weld.

the last TI i welded we just taped off the ends and poked a hole in each one, argon in one end and vent out the other and used a large gas lenses on the torch. had no issues and no color change in the weld. make sure to clean the tube well and wipe it off

Last edited:
If you have never welding in a chamber don't discount the learning curve... I had a very hard time producing my typical quality welds the first time I used one. If this is a no spec application I would think a gas lense and back purge would be more than good enough.

"The old timers (WWII vintage) would use a bare light bulb filament to ensure the oxygen was gone. If the filament would stay lite, then the oxygen was low enough to weld. "

Filed away in memory for future use!

Back