What's new
What's new

Welding wire on plastic spool - Spool broke, any simple fixes?

snowman

Diamond
So annoyed by this. Just recently it seems the wire suppliers switched from that nice little wire frame to a plastic frame. Problem is, I've seen these plastic frames get broke on more than one occasion. In this case, I've got an almost full spool of wire, and a broken spool that won't roll good.

I'm thinking about putting it in a bucket, but I've never seen a box / bucket feed, so don't exactly know how to set it up.

Any suggestions? Need the wire this weekend, and not willing to go to the hardware store to get another spool. If I had an empty spool, I'd just set it up to transfer...but I don't.

Believe me, it's cheaper to just buy another roll.........been there and done that!

I tend to agree but it depends how bad the damage is. If you've only broken a small section out of the side of the disc it shouldn't be too much of an issue. We have have fixed larger breaks by cutting a partial disc out of thin sheet and riveting it in place. If the damage is severe enough to affect the hub then you're probably better off just getting another roll.

Personally I like the plastic reels. Once they're empty you can screw them to a wall or post and use them for hanging cords and hoses--the flanges keep the cords in place and the central hub is large enough that you don't get kinks like you would if you hang something over a nail...

Yeah, the hub broke right off. Seems it was caused by the actual pin in the suitcase feeder breaking off, then it put an axial load on the hub, which it didn't want.

Ended up just throwing a 1 lb spool on there for the time being. Hell of a lot nicer to carry around, that's fore sure! I may try to salvage the wire once I have an empty spool that I can transfer it to, I'm not sure....I really hate the idea of scrapping a full roll.

Back