What's new
What's new

What is the best way to cut .003 thick 316 stainless

Coleman

Plastic
We had a recent order to cut 1000pcs of .003 thick 316stainless 2" dia with .250 center hole, had a lot of trouble with bad burr on bottom side using plastic cutting boxes, ended up using fiber board on bottom and stacked 7 layers thick. It still left a bad burr on the bottom piece. I was wondering of a better way to cut these parts. I was thinking if I put 20awg steel sheet on top and bottom that would help reduce the burr a lot and stacking 10-15 sheets together with some weights to hold it down. The garnet is .014 and the mixing tube is .03, The stainless comes in a 2' wide roll. Any other ideas that would help?
Thanks

Chemical deburring is quite popular here. The process usually goes: Fineblanking ==> Chemical deburring ==> 2nd op.

Edit: these aren't my parts, but it does show mandrel stacking to machine multiple parts in one go. Imagine deburring those gears.

IMG_20131108_160900.jpg

If only the bottom piece has a burr I would think simply running a thicker stack and throwing the bottom piece away would be the cheapest way to deburr.

If only the bottom piece has a burr I would think simply running a thicker stack and throwing the bottom piece away would be the cheapest way to deburr.

It's not (usually) only the bottom piece but the bottom side of every piece in the stack ...

Thicker stiffener plates and clamping harder/tighter are only a partial solution as the cutting action of the jet tends to wipe the material downward at the lip of the cut, thus the burr.

I know of only three ways to get a burr free cut in shim stock/thin materials.

1. Build a die.

2. Wire-edm.

3. Chemical etch.

4. Grind the stack parallel to the parting lines.

Have to admit, you lost me there.

However, when we cut stacked shim stock on our waterjets we don't just weigh it down.

We use sacrificial 1" x 12" boards and clamp the stacks to the boards with a heavier pc of stock (.062" - .125") if it's warranted depending on the thickness of the shim stock and how thick a stack we are cutting.

This still will not entirely eliminate the burr, but will reduce it to where it is acceptable in most cases and at least easier to remove if you have to deburr the part.

^ still don't make it the right tool for the job now does it?

Hoestly stack cutting in a edm sounds like the easiest nd simplest way to go, especialy in that material. I have pinch turned stacks of alu plate too, but never that thin a stainless, pinched up hard burr free is easy, but the hole up the middles going to involve at least 2 setups holding it in some kinda external gripper.

Ha thats funny! The company I work for bought the waterjet to bring work back inhouse.
Thanks

Bro, I understand exactly what you are saying. Whoever wrote out that fat check is gonna wonder just why in the **** is he paying an outside vendor.

Break it down and look at the dollars and cents of the job.
You look at what the PO is for, then subtract the overhead to produce that part.
You do not wanna spend a butt load of shop hours dicking with a burr, which of course you well know.

There are some jobs that just are not feasible to do with your current setup.
One time runs on something like this are the worst sometime because you cant justify the expense of equipment
to do that one job.

I do not know anything about chemical etching but I would call around to see if it fits the job and how much. You might get them etched or what ever for half
what your paying your shop labor because they can do it by lots at a time.

I picture the de-burring eating your labor cost alive, even the cost of an outside vendor wire EDM and shipping could be cheaper than paying your labor to dick
with these things.

Here is an idea to chew on, can a product like this be stamped out cleanly?

If your company makes a lot of the very thin products I would look at manufacturing a punch press to stamp them out.
Picture a stamping die going up and down X times a minute and every time it strokes up it automatically advances the sheet one notch for next part.
There are lots of How Its Made episodes showing this stuff whizzing away.

Ha thats funny! The company I work for bought the waterjet to bring work back inhouse.
Thanks

Unfortunately, the success of one shop, does not reside in the realm of investment of just one tool. Bringing all work in-house means either having, and maintaining all tools, all the time, or constantly buying new tools, and tossing the ones you're not using, aside.

Remember: The shop exists to make money, and nothing else.

Many things you'll do, won't immediately make sense, but they MUST MAKE DOLLARS. You can do it the 'right' way, or the 'other right way'. What are the costs of doing it one right way, vs. another right way... and in the end, what makes more dollars than sense?

Back