What's new
What's new

What to look out for in a used badsaw?

setlab

Aluminum
I have a chance to get an fmb bad saw that was part of a closed down welding shop at a pretty good price. Is there anything I should look out for? I've read a lot of good things about fmb saws, is there anything bad about them? Any parts that wear out easily?

Most of that Italian stuff is made very well but also made light, on the saw the large band wheels are the thing to check along with the hydraulic of the machine,if it's coming cheap worth a Go id say.

The blade wheels are the most important. Open the machine and there is a lip where the blade sits on the back edge. Rotate the wheel 360 and make sure it is the same thickness all the way around. If not, then they ran the machine without the wheel being tight. This will cause faster wear problems and blade movement that you can't control.

Other then that, look at it like a Bridgeport. Check the surface, up down movement etc.

We have a little FMB bandsaw in the shop. Also have a brand new one as well (not even hooked up yet!).

I'd say check the general stuff. See if the trigger makes the motor spin. Should spin quietly. Pop the blade guards off and remove the blade. Check the blade wheels and the blade guides. Wheels should be smooth with an even lip. Roller guides should spin tightly & quietly. Pad guides, just see if they have ever been changed. Move the vise all the way in & out to make sure it works. Check to make sure the coolant will pump if it has one.

I typically hate Italian machinery, but the little saw has been a winner.

most important issue on all machinery purchased is support. can you get parts? can you get technical support. you can solve most problems is yes is the answer to , support?

Back