What's new
What's new

Chop Saw Blades

3in1

Plastic
Just got a new Porter Cable chop saw. Never used one before. Had some really nasty steel to cut and I think I glazed the blade as it wouldn't cut any more. Used a dressing stone and it cuts but looks like it's burning it instead of cutting and it leaves metal fins on the cut. The sides of the blade are smooth and the blades at Home Depot all have abrasive on them.

Did I ruin my blade and need a new one? Can't remember if it was smooth before I started using it.

Thanks

I cannot answer as to if the cutting wheel is ruined or not but it is very easy to glaze the cutting edge. Taking a cut in a red brick works on diamond blades and should on this too.

Since you noted that you never used one, here is some advice. If you get the existing wheel cleaned up, or buy a new one, just make sure you do not linger in the work when cutting. Once you start just maintain a good, steady feed rate until done. If you have to stop then pull out completely.

One issue the happens all the time with these chop saws is having the work move while cutting. It helps to use wood, scrap metal, etc to support both sides of the stuff you are cutting. Also try to limit the chop saw's movement on the table or floor. It's easy to maintain a nice cut when everything is steady but a real pain if the work and the saw is moving around.

Walter

Until the glaze is gone and it cuts decent again. I have a stone like yours but use it for dressing tool/drill sharpening wheels. That's not to say it won't work on what you have. You just have to think less of dressing the wheel to leave a nice finish and think more of dressing the wheel to expose a good cutting surface.

Why a brick? Unlike your nice dressing stone a brick is cheap and readily available...

Walter

I like the brick idea.

I'd still like to hear about the abrasive on the sides of the wheel.

Thanks

I know that it might be dangerous but when the wheel keeps glazeing up you can take the side of a half round file and wack the wheel and put notches in it .

Biger saws that have plenty of power you can beardown on them and they will get to some fresh wheel.

Back