What's new
What's new

What shade for plasma cutting

Nick

Aluminum
Tried the search function but no help, so now I get to ask.

What type of hood or shade do you use when plasma cutting. One of my helmets is a Huntsman 911P with an AV Basic shade 10 auto dark. The lens has got to be an antique now. I've been using that with my plasma cutter. It doesn't seem to go dark at all. Am I still being protected. I have another Huntsman with a fixed shade but I can't see my layout lines with it. I have a pair of those shade 5 that look like sunglasses for OA, but didn't think they would be safe. What do you guys use.

I leave my speedglas turned off, which is a #5 I think. The UV protection is built into the glass, shade is only to make it easy on the eyes and can see better.
No clue on the huntsman, never seen one.

So if I get another hood and put in a #5 fixed I should be good. I can also use it for OA brazing and cutting.
Thanks SND

Instead of a hood for OA and your plasma, check out one of these...

Jackson V100 Fixed Front Cutting Welding Goggles, 5.0 Shade, 50 mm Hardened Glass Lens, 12/Pack

I discovered the headgear goggles when working at the airplane museum and I LOVE them. No annoying elastic strap to break or lose its stretch, not as big and bulky as a helmet, and with the lens up closer to your eyes, the field of view is bigger than a large lens helmet. These work over glasses, no problem.

Mike,

After I followed your link I remembered having a pair of those, now I just got to go find them. Probably have a shade 5 in it too. Thanks.

On edit:

Found'em. Mine are made by Fibremetal.

DSCN0272.jpg

DSCN0273.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah man! Nice setup there! The first set I had were the goggle cup type (one cup for each eye). Very lightweight and unobtrusive, but don't fit over glasses. I bought the rectangle glass version after I started doing metallizing spray at the pump shop and got sick of the crappy elastic bands.

Tried the search function but no help, so now I get to ask.

What type of hood or shade do you use when plasma cutting. One of my helmets is a Huntsman 911P with an AV Basic shade 10 auto dark. The lens has got to be an antique now. I've been using that with my plasma cutter. It doesn't seem to go dark at all. Am I still being protected. I have another Huntsman with a fixed shade but I can't see my layout lines with it. I have a pair of those shade 5 that look like sunglasses for OA, but didn't think they would be safe. What do you guys use.

If you still have your owners manual the information should be in the Safety Section.
The shade you need is dependent on the amperage you are cutting with.
You can find the information at Hypertherm's website : Hypertherm designs and manufactures the world's most advanced metal cutting products
Click on Downloads Library in the upper right.
In the search screen, enter the word "safety" (without quotes).
Click on Manuals, then click on Instruction Manual.
Open the PDF.
Information you want is on page S-5.
-Bruce

Mike,
I had those goggles also, the elastic didn't have much stretch at all and to make them stay on you had to adjust them so tight they dug into your face. :D

Bruce,
Thanks, I will check that out.

Back