What's new
What's new

Where can I source 1/2 inch ar400 punch plate with 1.5 inch holes with 0.5 in webbing

scootertrs

Plastic
Where can I source 1/2 inch punch plate with 1.5 inch holes with 0.5 in webbing? We need these plates to fabricate screens for our wood grinder that needs 2 screens that are approx. 63 in x 60 in. ea. I can get the 1/2 in. ar400 plate, but cannot find the plate prepunched and do not want to lose hardness w/ the cutting. Also the cost for punching the plate would be high. I would like to find plate that is hardened after the punch. any input? We would buy several screens, but definitely would want provider to know we we will test the material with a durometer. Thanks

See Jim Colt's reply under waterjetting AR400. With a plasma the HAZ is quite small, and the HAZ could harden rather than soften.

If you are just going to test the durometer of the finished part any steel will pass. You need to become more familiar with hardness testing before you write the purchase order.

We use and cut (Plasma) several thousand pound of this stuff every month and have never run across punched material. I guess it would be possible but I have never seen it.

Waterjet cutting that many holes would be quite expensive but if you have deep pockets....

If I had to make a screen like this I would start with AR500. It's not that much more costly than AR400. Both are still affected by heat but I would assume the AR500 would not lose as much hardness?

When we had our old Plamsa Torch we found we could bring the water table level right up to the top of the plate which would keep everything pretty cool. I am told we cannot do that now with our new torch due to a reduced consumable life. Maybe find someone with a water table who would be willing to keep the AR500 wet while cutting. Get a couple of samples cut for you to test.

Walter

Water Jet will be way cheaper than the non existent imaginary stuff, and will loose no hardness in the cutting. It will be something that is actually available and will actually work.

See Jim Colt's reply under waterjetting AR400. With a plasma the HAZ is quite small, and the HAZ could harden rather than soften.

If you are just going to test the durometer of the finished part any steel will pass. You need to become more familiar with hardness testing before you write the purchase order.

What I meant to say was that material Will be checked for hardness... not May. and it will not be done by me. We will hire the proper lab to perform the test. These materials are way too expensive to trust an iron peddler-and sometimes even they get rooked. What exactly did you mean by... You need to become more familiar with hardness testing before you write the purchase order. .. What should I be doing different? Maybe I missed something? I spec out AR400, get it tested upon receipt, not accept it if it does not meet specs.-Not only am I not paying for something I am not getting, but the cost of installation sometimes far exceeds the cost of the material.

What exactly did you mean by... You need to become more familiar with hardness testing before you write the purchase order. .. What should I be doing different? Maybe I missed something?

Durometer is 'hardness' testing for rubber and plastics. Stating you want the metal tested for Durometer shows your ignorance to vendor and thus easy to take advantage of you. Rockwell and Brinell are hardness tests for metals. AR400 is Abrasion Resistant steel plate measuring 400 on Brinell scale. Hardness testing a piece of steel is not expensive nor labor intensive. Material composition testing is something entirely different.

http://www.chapelsteel.com/ar400-ar360.html

Hardness comparison - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shore durometer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Failing that look at hardox. The cut edges hardness barely changes when plasma cut. laser cut and its even less - practically irrelivent for your needs. Thing to remember with hardox and some of the other wear resistant steel is its not just a heat treat that gives them there properties. A lot of it is in how the sheet is finally rolled to thickness. You won't be punching holes with any kinda tooling life expectancy in hardox, far better to use a thermal based cutting process. Slightly under sizing the holes to allow for a minimal amount of wear in use is common on screening applications, like this you average the size you want for the longest possible time, its a function of screen thickness though, as it generally wears the edge of the hole out and only finally opens the bottom of the holes diameter wise last. If anything 1/2" might be too thick to get optimal life out of. Going thinner on screens can have a advantage with material flow and wear life versus costs are considered. Google hardox and look at its specification sheets, loss of hardness with diffrent cutting processes is covered in detail. But IMHO your trying to fix a problem that does not exist in the real world. Equally the wear of screens is well understood you just need to go look it up rather than try and invent it. Most of these steels are designed to resist wear from earths - soils - rocks. They will laugh in the face of even slightly gritty wood chips for a very very long time!

Back