Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Custom-corrugated sheet steel panels needed for my DIY project. Scotland / Britain

Peter Dow is offline Plastic

Lightbulb Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dow View Post
    One other possibility might be to swap the top and bottom offset dies around and have the 45 degrees going upwards, though this would require a more difficult task to position the sheet for bending.
    Yes on second thoughts, it looks a much better solution with the modified offset die as the top die.

The yellow line indicates the positioning of the sheet against a back-gauge for a down-stroking press brake, before the press action.

The green line indicates the positioning of the sheet against a back-gauge for an up-stroking press brake, before the press action.

Here instead of adding a base to the modified die, the red area indicates the edge of the top die holder which must be machined off to stop fouling the sheet at a 45 degree up angle.

Here note the edge of the die labelled "L" is at a sloping angle to the vertical. The reason for this is to provide a positioning stop for the sheet (as an alternative or additional stop to the use of a back-gauge stop) to allow space between the corner of the previous bend in the sheet and the edge of the die, to allow for the sheet being pulled in by the bend. The "L" angle shown is for illustrative purposes only. I have not worked out what the angle should be for best results yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
    This can never be a one man job.
    Simple as that. Someone has to hold the sheet at the back side of the press from bouncing around.
    When you hold a steel ruler at one end, do you need someone to hold the other end to stop it bouncing around? No.

If folding 2m x 0.5m sheets, the longest unsupported length is 0.5m, not much longer than a steel ruler, and at 0.9mm it will be thicker, so plenty stiff enough to support its own weight. So what if it vibrates briefly when the press is done? No problem.

Two guys have to do the turning and flipping at the front of the brake.
    I am keeping the size of the flat sheet down to 1 square metre area and a weight of about 7.5 Kg (for 0.9 mm thick sheet) to make flipping it a one-man job. Is 7.5 Kg too heavy to flip 1000 times a day do you think?

On the other hand, if a special corrugating die set is used, then the sheet does not need to be flipped over at all.

I hate to say it Peter, but you're in fantasy land about this whole project coming out at a cost you can afford.
    We'll see.

BTW, when your modified offset die starts pulling the material down, its going to also pull against the custom ground out part and more than likely open up the previous bend from 90*. I believe the horizontal flats are like that so the material can be drawn in as the bends are being made.
    Excellent point. Thank you.

See the shape of the modified die in this post, in particular the line labelled "L" in the diagram which is one way to deal with the issue you correctly raise. A CNC controlled back-gauge can also stop the previous bend of the sheet being positioned too close to the die.

Default Modifed offset die for corrugating

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dow View Post
    The "L" angle shown is for illustrative purposes only. I have not worked out what the angle should be for best results yet.
    OK, this is what I have now.

Here's a tidier wide-angle diagram.

jugs is offline Plastic

Guys, dont waste time on this mans request untill you -

1 - Google '"peter dow" corrugated'
    He's been on almost every forum arguing & causing trouble

2 - Read this > Meet the lonely heart from hell - The Daily Record

3 - Read his website > HERE

He lives on state handouts in a 1 bed flat & see's himself as the head of state in Scotland

A few peter dow Quotes-
    Only now with the advent of the internet can intelligent educators such as myself start explaining the truth. However, it is hard work and the chances are that only when what I am saying appears on TV will most people actually be able to understand
    Australian bush-fires: mass manslaughter by the Queen
    adama, ADFToolmaker and thermite like this.

adama is online now Diamond

That's fucking hilarious. I love the hip to waist ratio in women searching that should be a post in the Meteorology section :-) heck a certain Dutch man would probably make him a custom measuring device :-)

Jugs, you have truely shown us the light on this one :-) We truly owe you a great debt to the service and time savings your post has saved UK Practical machinist members.
    digger doug likes this.

123pugsy is offline Plastic

HAAA.... HAAAA .... HAAAAA.... HAAAAAAA......

I knew something just wasn't ''right'' with this guy.

FishTaco is offline Aluminum

no comment
    Last edited by FishTaco; 09-26-2011 at 10:13 PM.

Mark McGrath is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by jugs View Post
    Guys, dont waste time on this mans request untill you
    What is it with the Welsh?
    Always got to spoil the fun.
    adama and jugs like this.

jugs is offline Plastic

Quote Originally Posted by Mark McGrath View Post
    What is it with the Welsh?
    Always got to spoil the fun.
    Sorry

He's just a troll (He lives in Aberdeen so what else is there for him to do )
    Glad he's your's & not our's

Some years ago we had some Welsh arsonists trying to drive the English out, "Come home to a real fire - buy a house in Wales"

Default Getting back on topic to practical machining ...

The press brake double V-die tool, the Amada 12206, can be custom modified by grinding to allow the tool to "revisit" previously formed corrugations to allow the bends to be selectively increased to curve or straighten panels.

Amada quoted 226 or $350 extra for the modification in addition to the 127 or $200 for the cost of the standard tool. Maybe a practical machinist here can quote to modify this tool?

jugs is offline Plastic

Amada quoted 226 or $350 extra for the modification in addition to the 127 or $200 for the cost of the standard tool. Maybe a practical machinist here can quote to modify this tool?
    Thats a good price for tool + modification,- go for it,
    - most places I know with the equipment to do that, would charge you 250/300 just for the modification. (so your getting the tool for free, that should appeal)

Thats what I would charge you + tool +transport + vat @ 20% -cash up front.

cant see any one daft enough to do it cheaper, as you've already found out.

So now that's sorted, just take it to your local press shop & pay them to work your tool for you,
    while you get on with more important things.

Kentuckydiesel is offline Aluminum

Guys, dont waste time on this mans request untill you -

1 - Google '"peter dow" corrugated'
    He's been on almost every forum arguing & causing trouble

2 - Read this > Meet the lonely heart from hell - The Daily Record

3 - Read his website > HERE

He lives on state handouts in a 1 bed flat & see's himself as the head of state in Scotland

A few peter dow Quotes-

Wow,
    And here I was wondering why some guy was researching tooling as though he was going into production of a salable product...but only really wanting a few pieces for his house.

The above clears everything up.

-Phillip

jugs is offline Plastic

Quote Originally Posted by Kentuckydiesel View Post
    Wow,
    And here I was wondering why some guy was researching tooling as though he was going into production of a salable product...but only really wanting a few pieces for his house.

The above clears everything up.

-Phillip
    It seems you yanks don't have the monopoly of the loony fringe , we've got our fair share too
    thermite likes this.

Sea Farmer is offline Titanium

It seems you yanks don't have the monopoly of the loony fringe , we've got our fair share too
    Now there's some interesting mensuration issues in that statement

On the basis of population, I'm sure us yanks have more nutters, because we have more people. But how about on a per capita basis? More nutters per thousand population? I don't quite know how to approach the issue.

And then there's the degree of nuttiness to consider. Does one REALLY crazy person outweigh two who are just mildly weird? The UK has a great reputation for harboring eccentrics, but is this based on reality, or is do you have a better PR firm? Perhaps we actually have more eccentric people, but you guys count better?

Counting poses more problems. Suppose you have a schizophrenic person with three personalities, and they're all weird. Does that count as three separate nuts?

These are the ideas that kept me from getting into the really good schools. . ..

Hip-to-waist ratio for child-bearing?? Ok, this round goes to the UK

But we'll be back

barbter is offline Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Farmer View Post
    Does one REALLY crazy person outweigh two who are just mildly weird? The UK has a great reputation for harboring eccentrics, but is this based on reality, or is do you have a better PR firm?
    err, just re-read this thread and the answer should smack you fair and square in the face.
    Yep, we have one eccentric here that outweighs probably two thousand of 'yours'
    adama likes this.

jugs is offline Plastic

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    err, just re-read this thread and the answer should smack you fair and square in the face.
    But most of theirs have god (or is it gods, there seems to be a large variety)on their side ! So how many god fearing American nutters = 1 Scottish nutter ?? We need this info to do the callculation

PS- How long has god been fearing the Americans

PS- How long has god been fearing the Americans

Since he came within range of your robotic missile launching drones at a ruff guess :-)

Sea Farmer is offline Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    But we have a charlie138 : OT: Home Fabrication: cheapest method

Perhaps we've achieved parity

Nah ones trying to make posh corrugated iron, the others trying to solve the worlds energy needs by proving everyone on the planet to date is stupid and has solved the perpetual motion problem.

At least Posh corrugated irons possible and could be done :-)

Ie they may both be a bit eccentric, but at least ones governed by the current laws of physics.

jugs is offline Plastic

Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    ....., but at least ones governed by the current laws of physics.
    & he also gets physical with the law

the others trying to solve the worlds energy needs by proving everyone on the planet to date is stupid and has solved the perpetual motion problem.
    I'd like someone to solve my problem of perpetual motions

123pugsy is offline Plastic

You poor Yanks and Brits.

At least all us Canucks know that antimatter can only work if you use stainless for the vessel and of coarse the sheets would need to be corrugated.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast