Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    meco3hp is offline Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Post Rock country, Lacrosse Ks
    Posts
    936

    Default Plasma cutter Avortec

    Hello,
    Anybody ever heard of these guys?

    Avortec - TIG Welders, MIG Welders, Plasma Cutters, Generators, APU's, Tools, And Industrial Products, www.avortec.com

    I'm looking for my first plasma torch and ran across these guys. I'm thinking their claims might be a little over the top. I do light fab work and scrapping. Looking to cut up to 1/2" at a time, 1 or 2 minutes at a time.

    What do you guys think? Any suggestions of plasma torches to check out? Looking to keep my capital outlay to around $1000.

    Thanks!
    Richard

  2. #2
    macona's Avatar
    macona is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    5,442

    Default

    Fancy graphics, still chinese crap. Buy a hypertherm.

  3. #3
    Ries's Avatar
    Ries is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Edison Washington USA
    Posts
    8,115

    Default

    I am with Macona.
    The address leads me to believe its a rented slot in a tilt up warehouse.

  4. #4
    rusty ripple is offline Cast Iron
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    new orleans
    Posts
    452

    Default

    interestingly their tig welders use argon but "co2 can be substituted if cost is a factor"
    thats quite an impressive feat for a tig welder

  5. #5
    jimcolt is offline Cast Iron
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hanover NH
    Posts
    325

    Default

    You can get a Hypertherm Powermax30 for close to your budget....it will sever 1/2" materials, but is most comfortable in the 1/4" and thinner range. It is US designed and built by employee owners....and has product support that is second to none!

    Here is a link to the info on the Hypertherm | Plasma Cutters | Plasma Cutting Equipment | Metal Cutting Equipment site.

    Powermax30 plasma cutter | Products & Services | Hypertherm

    Jim Colt


    Quote Originally Posted by meco3hp View Post
    Hello,
    Anybody ever heard of these guys?

    Avortec - TIG Welders, MIG Welders, Plasma Cutters, Generators, APU's, Tools, And Industrial Products, www.avortec.com

    I'm looking for my first plasma torch and ran across these guys. I'm thinking their claims might be a little over the top. I do light fab work and scrapping. Looking to cut up to 1/2" at a time, 1 or 2 minutes at a time.

    What do you guys think? Any suggestions of plasma torches to check out? Looking to keep my capital outlay to around $1000.

    Thanks!
    Richard

  6. #6
    Huskerz is offline Plastic
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    44

    Default hypertherm?

    Hi Jim
    Love my Hypertherm Powermax 900 so far - haven't used it too much.

    Curious about your reply on this thread. "US designed and built by employee owners". Could you elaborate on this please?

    As one who does his best to always buy MADE IN THE U.S.A. (which is really tough these days), I'm wondering what Hypertherm is doing?

    thanks and Happy New Year everyone.

  7. #7
    macona's Avatar
    macona is offline Diamond
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Beaverton, OR
    Posts
    5,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rusty ripple View Post
    interestingly their tig welders use argon but "co2 can be substituted if cost is a factor"
    thats quite an impressive feat for a tig welder
    I would love to see someone try that. Poof goes the tungsten.

  8. #8
    jimcolt is offline Cast Iron
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hanover NH
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Hypertherm designs, tests for reliability, and manufactures all of its products in its New Hampshire based facilities. The company is owned by all of its (around 1200) employees, who all share in profitability of the company in good times. During the recent economic downturn the business levels dropped rather dramatically, yet we made the corporate decision to not lay off a single employee...rather everyone shifted responsibilities to ensure that when the recession ended we would still be firing on all cylinders. Many production workers shifted into research and development department jobs, we increased spending in engineering and new system development. We took the downtime to improve our production facilities in terms of manufacturing equipment, test equipment, and production fixtures. Overtime of course was cut, but everyone was still employed! Those that traveled in sales and technical services positions traveled smarter, cheaper, and more efficiently.

    When the downturn finally hit bottom and started back up....Hypertherm still had its fully trained and capable staff.....while many of our competitors had to hire new workers and had to retrain. We also had 4 or 5 newly released plasma cutting products.....our competitors had none. Hypertherm is very busy again, we are growing at rates much faster than others in our industry, our new product are selling at record rates, and all of our employees still have their jobs......as well as over 40 new jobs that have been added.

    Over 60% of Hypertherms all USA built products are exported to other parts of the world, with China being one of our largest growing markets.

    So, we are very proud of our company and products, and I think we have clearly proven that American factories can compete on a worldwide market with proper management. I have been with Hypertherm for 33 years....and if anyone ever ventures into New Hampshire (Hanover to be exact) contact me and I'd be glad to provide a tour of Hypertherms main facility where all of the plasma products are manufactured!

    Jim Colt Hypertherm

    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz View Post
    Hi Jim
    Love my Hypertherm Powermax 900 so far - haven't used it too much.

    Curious about your reply on this thread. "US designed and built by employee owners". Could you elaborate on this please?

    As one who does his best to always buy MADE IN THE U.S.A. (which is really tough these days), I'm wondering what Hypertherm is doing?

    thanks and Happy New Year everyone.

  9. #9
    Huskerz is offline Plastic
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    44

    Default Made in the usa

    Great to hear Jim!!! Thanks for the detailed explanation. Sounds like Hypertherm is a model for other US mfg companies to follow.

    I was a bit confused (or maybe gunshy) when you originally stated "US designed" - as I see so many companies putting big full color American flags on their products/packaging and then in print you need a magnifying glass to read it says "Designed in USA, made in China" or something to that effect. Sure glad that is not the case for Hypertherm.

    I'm so glad to hear of your success and will definitely keep buying Hypertherm products.

    Thanks also for what you and Hypertherm are doing for the wounded warriors project - what a great cause!

    BUY USA!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •