What's new
What's new

Suggestion Needed for Weld Cleanup--DynaFile?

munruh

Hot Rolled
I have a couple hundred weldments coming through the shop that we need to clean them up before they go off to powdercoat. We are using a file to get the dingle berries and sanding the rough edges a bit. Has anyone here tried a dyna-file? Do they work good for where you use a file?

Thanks

What material are you working with? For steels I like a needle scaler better than a sander, aluminum I would go with the sander or a scotch bright flapper wheel on a die grinder.

Do they work good for where you use a file?
Thanks

We use them a ton at work. Mostly for finishing brass brazed work but sometimes for weldments or other work. The variety of heads and belts allow you to get just the surface finish you need.

Each of our finishing stations has three, one with a course belt for material removal, one with scotch bright for smoothing and one with fine grit sandpaper and a large trampoline section for blending.

They pretty much replace files except where they don't fit.

for really rough stuff hit with a wheel grinder, then go back with the dynafile for final finish... you can grind pretty crappy stuff with a dynafile, just get plenty of belts....

I use my dynafile a lot but you need to understand its strengths and weaknesses.

The belts are small 1/2" X 18" is typical, so they don't always last long. If the edge of a belt hits something hard or sharp and starts to fray, the belt will die quickly.

They don't hit inside corners well--fillet welds are better done with a profile file of your choice-triangular, etc.

They are superior to files on round work IMHO.

There is a huge assortment of belts for dynafiles, including non woven abrasive belts--for some applications and finishes this may be an advantage over filing.

Other options getting it shot blasted, that will remove typical splatter just fine, notice the word shot there, not grit!! Big difference in splatter removal capabilities.

Are you using one of the anti-spatter sprays on the work? I started using that at this hydraulic shop I am at now and it is pretty amazing. Any bbs that do end up on the work where it has been sprayed can be wiped off with a rag. It would probably more than pay for itself in the labor it would save. We use the 90 degree die grinder and sanding discs/scotchbrite pads for most all smoothing and slicking of welds, when required. We have dynafiles, but use them pretty much only for knocking down fill welds on damaged rods before polishing.

Back