What's new
What's new

Warping trouble when cutting 2"x2"x240" bars?Tips please!

Chrome6

Plastic
I have water all the way up to the plate surface and bubbling . I skip around side to side front to back when I'm ripping and they always warp on me? tips anyone?

Buy it as bar don't cut it from plate!

IME narrow strips always warp to some degree when cut, regardless of what there cut with there's stresses in most plate that become unbalanced when you remove a narrow bit. Hence its kinda always been standard practice on parts that need to be flat to flatten them under a press. Narrow bits also oftern need straightening side ways on to the cut too. With practice - a couple of days at it you soon develop a feel for the job and it then goes pretty quick, but its still a hard heavy job to do.

I agree with Adama (buy bar stock)....but I was in a shop that does this ripping.

The machine is a special, it ripps them all at the same time, had about 10 torches going
at the same time, quite the oxygen manifold. Here is a scan from an old Airco book
showing a very similar machine.

BTW when you say "the water was bubbling" is the water up above the bottom of the plate somewhat ?
Or is it just catching the slag ?

Take that water right up to the top of the plate.
Try to cut both sides at the same time (2 torches)

Attachments

• Oxygen-Ripping-Machine.JPG
    Oxygen-Ripping-Machine.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 197
Thanks for the reply adama and digger doug- I'll try telling them to buy bar stock-It must be cheaper for the boss to buy plate -pay me to rip warped bars -then pay someone to straighten them in a press?Doug thanks for the picture.The water is up above the bottom of the plate .I do have the water right up to the top of the plate.I wish we had more torches-only one plasma and one oxy/pro.Could put up to 8 torches on that machine but don't think that's going to happen.

Never seen one of thoes before Doug, but sure is such a obvious simple answer.

Thats assuming the oxy lines on the torch + its valves are able to flow enough gas with out too much pressure drop. Have seen problems due to that before!

Yup, flow might pose a problem.

Heck ditch the cutting table, just set up a Bug-o with a couple of torches, on it's
own beam, next to plate.

Attachments

• hangar-steel-6.jpg
    hangar-steel-6.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 274
  • hangar-steel-7.jpg
    hangar-steel-7.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 174

Back